Calculating Velocity: Impact of Doubling Pitcher's Force on Baseball's Speed"

• Thread starter naijaokey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the speed of a baseball leaving a pitcher's hand if the average force exerted by the pitcher is doubled while everything else remains the same. The conversation also touched upon the use of kinematics and dynamical relations in solving the problem. However, it was concluded that without knowing the acceleration, it is not possible to use the kinematical relations to find the velocity. Instead, the average force exerted during a given time interval was mentioned as a possible approach.
naijaokey
a baseball thrown from rest, leaves a pitcher's hand at v1 m/s. If the average force exerted by the pitcher is doubled, all else remained the same, with what speed will the ball leave the pitcher's hand given v1.

just looking for some direction, I haven't done problems like this in a long while and was trying to offer a friend some help. I was thinking that I needed to use kinematics to solve this problem but I was having problems relating constant acceleration to velocity without incorporating an equation using time.

v=v0+at=> a=v-v0/t

f=ma===> f=m(v-v0/t)...

any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use the kinematical relations because nothing has been specified about the accelaration, and in particular, whether it is a constant.

The average force exerted during a time interval [tex]\Delta t[/tex] is, [tex]\left<\vec{F}\right> = \frac{\Delta\vec{p}}{\Delta t}[/tex], where [tex]\Delta\vec{p}[/tex] is the change is momentum.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
You cannot use the kinematical relations ...

'F = ma' is a dynamical relation.

I was referring to "v=v0+at=> a=v-v0/t," which was then used in F = ma.

neutrino said:
I was referring to "v=v0+at=> a=v-v0/t," which was then used in F = ma.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. :smile:

1. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by an object by the time it takes to travel that distance. In the case of a baseball, this would be measured in feet per second.

2. What is the impact of doubling a pitcher's force on a baseball's speed?

Doubling a pitcher's force can have a significant impact on a baseball's speed. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that by doubling the force applied to the ball, its acceleration will also double, resulting in a higher velocity.

3. How does air resistance affect a baseball's velocity?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on a baseball's velocity. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which slows it down. This force increases as the ball's velocity increases, so a higher velocity will result in a greater loss of speed due to air resistance.

4. Can a pitcher's technique impact a baseball's velocity?

Yes, a pitcher's technique can have a significant impact on a baseball's velocity. Factors such as the angle and speed at which the ball is released, as well as the spin and grip of the ball, can all affect its velocity. A pitcher who has good technique and control can generate higher velocities than one with poor technique.

5. Is there an optimal force for maximizing a baseball's velocity?

Yes, there is an optimal force for maximizing a baseball's velocity. This will vary depending on factors such as the pitcher's technique and the air resistance, but in general, a higher force will result in a higher velocity, up to a certain point where other factors may come into play. It is important for pitchers to find the right balance of force and technique to achieve the highest possible velocity for each pitch.