1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A basic inequality

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    Could anyone help me on this,
    Is it true that for any given [itex]r_{1},r_{2},r_{3},r_{4}>0[/itex] and [itex]t_{1},t_{2},t_{3},t_{4}\in[0,2\pi)[/itex] if
    [itex]r_{1}\left|\cos(t-t_{1})\right|+r_{2}\left|\cos(t-t_{2})\right|[/itex][itex]<r_{3}\left|\cos(t-t_{3})\right|+r_{4}\left|\cos(t-t_{4})\right|[/itex] for all [itex]t\in[0,2\pi)[/itex]
    then [itex]r_{1}+r_{2}<r_{3}+r_{4}[/itex] ?

By the way, this is not a homework problem.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2
    I may be incorrect, but I would say this would be false.

What if [tex]t-t_{1}[/tex] and [tex]t-t_{2}[/tex] are equal to [tex]2pi[/tex], [tex]pi[/tex] or [tex]0[/tex]? Then r1 and r2 can be anything, and don't have to satisfy the inequality!

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    If [itex]t-t_{1}[/itex] and [itex]t-t_{2}[/itex] are equal to [itex]2pi[/itex], [itex]pi[/itex] or [itex]0[/itex] ? Then the left hand side of the given inequality is [itex]r_1+r_2[/itex], which is less than the right hand side of the given inequality that is not larger than [itex]r_3+r_4[/itex]. Thus the claim is automatically true.

I think what makes it possible to be true is "for all [itex]x\in[0,2\pi][/itex]", but I don't know how to prove it.

Again, any suggestion that can lead to the answer to the question will be greatly appreciated.

5. Nov 6, 2009 #4
    Ahh, sorry, I meant pi/2, meaning cos(pi/2) = 0. Then they do not have to be < r3+ r4

Besides, say they are both equal to pi anyway. Then, r1 and r2 can be greater than r3 and r4, yet still hold true in the first inequaility but not the second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook