What is the bearing of a ship sailing 120 km on a heading of 070 degrees?

In summary, when a ship sails on a bearing of 070 degrees for 120 km, it means that the ship is heading 20 degrees from the horizontal line (heading east) or 70 degrees from the vertical line (heading north). This is standard usage on maps where "North" is upward.
Gringo123
I have to answer a question which states:
"a ship sails on a bearing of 070 degrees for 120 km. Draw a diagram to show this".
Does this mean 70 degrees from the horizontal, so that I would measure 070 degrees by placing my protractor down flat and level in front of me?

Physics news on Phys.org
North is zero.

Thanks Borek
So just to clarify, "on a bearing of 070 degrees for 120 km" means 70 degrees from the vertical line (heading north), or 20 degrees from the horizontal line (heading east). Is that right?

I am not a licensed navigator, so I can be wrong :smile: but that's my take.

Yes, it is standard usage to put "North" upward on a map so a "bearing of 70 degrees" would be 70 degrees from a vertical (upward) line which is the same as 90- 70= 20 degrees from a horizontal (to the right) line. That could also be referred to as "East, 20 degrees North".

1. What does a bearing of 070 degrees mean?

A bearing of 070 degrees refers to the direction or angle at which an object or location is located, measured in degrees clockwise from North. In this case, the object or location is pointing towards the East-Southeast direction.

2. How is a bearing of 070 degrees different from a bearing of 070 degrees North?

A bearing of 070 degrees North means that the object or location is directly facing North, while a bearing of 070 degrees refers to a direction that is 70 degrees to the right of North. In other words, a bearing of 070 degrees North is a specific direction, while a bearing of 070 degrees can refer to any direction 70 degrees to the right of North.

3. How is a bearing of 070 degrees represented on a compass?

A bearing of 070 degrees is represented on a compass by a line or arrow pointing towards the East-Southeast direction. This is usually indicated by the letters ESE or a compass symbol with two arrows pointing towards the East and Southeast directions.

4. Can a bearing of 070 degrees change over time?

Yes, a bearing of 070 degrees can change over time as the Earth rotates. This means that the direction or angle of an object or location relative to North can change, and the bearing will also change accordingly. However, magnetic north can also shift over time, which can affect bearings as well.

5. How is a bearing of 070 degrees used in navigation?

A bearing of 070 degrees is used in navigation to determine the direction and distance between two locations. It is often used in conjunction with a compass or other navigational tools to plot a course and track the movement of an object or person. It is also used in aviation and marine navigation to communicate and follow specific routes and headings.