Grounding Portable Wash & Work Station: Options for Safe & Sound Use

• Thread starter brip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grounding
In summary: As for now, I guess my friend can just be extra careful when using the table. In summary, a portable GFI unit may be used safely if the GFI receptacle is removed and a UL listed extension cord or other UL listed device is used.
brip
I designed and built a portable wash and work station for my friend who is in the beatifcation business. its a four foot long folding table with folding metal legs and has a small wash basin and one 120 volt GFI outlet that is pluged into the house power source. My quest is to ground this unit when often there is no ground available in 50% of the places she would take it?...I think what I`m looking for is a portable grounding that can be used. conventional wisdom is to run a wire and clamp to water line,but in this case that's not always an option. So is there a safe and sound way to ground this unit?
Any input wiil be greatly appreciated...Bri-p

Engineering news on Phys.org
brip said:
I designed and built a portable wash and work station for my friend who is in the beatifcation business. its a four foot long folding table with folding metal legs and has a small wash basin and one 120 volt GFI outlet that is pluged into the house power source. My quest is to ground this unit when often there is no ground available in 50% of the places she would take it?...I think what I`m looking for is a portable grounding that can be used. conventional wisdom is to run a wire and clamp to water line,but in this case that's not always an option. So is there a safe and sound way to ground this unit?
Any input wiil be greatly appreciated...Bri-p

The safe and sound method would be to remove the convenience GFCI protected receptacle from the table. Use a UL listed extension cord or other UL listed device having GFCI protection. This will not improve the overall safety considerations but limits personal liability.

A GFCI does not require a grounding conductor to function properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geniere, thanks so much for interest and your right, but Osha states that a GFI without a ground is not safe and there lies the problem as my friend who would use this unit has a license and is reqiuerd to meet their standards of safety.

This is really a legal issue rather than a technical issue. I can think of several means to greatly reduce the shock risk to your friend and the customer. I can think of nothing that would satisfy the many, sometimes conflicting, regulations that exist. In truth I have only a rudimentary knowledge of hte NEC and almost no knowledge of OSHA standards. There may be some relief found in "tempory wiring" as specified by the NEC.

I'm at a loss except to suggest battery powered devices.

Ain't bureaucracy wonderful?

Thanks Geniere and I wiil keep looking for differnt sulutions within the NEC and maybe I will try and talk to somone at OSHA.

1. What is a portable wash and work station?

A portable wash and work station is a compact, self-contained unit that provides a designated area for cleaning and performing tasks, such as food preparation or scientific experiments, in locations without access to traditional sinks or workspaces.

2. Why is grounding important for a portable wash and work station?

Grounding is important for a portable wash and work station because it helps to prevent the build-up of static electricity, which can be a safety hazard in certain environments. It also helps to protect sensitive equipment from damage caused by electrostatic discharge.

3. How does grounding a portable wash and work station work?

Grounding a portable wash and work station involves connecting the unit to a grounding source, such as a grounding rod or metal water pipe, using a grounding wire. This allows any static electricity to be safely discharged to the ground.

4. Are there different options for grounding a portable wash and work station?

Yes, there are different options for grounding a portable wash and work station. Some units may come with built-in grounding systems, while others may require the use of a separate grounding wire. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper grounding.

5. How can I ensure safe and sound use of a grounded portable wash and work station?

To ensure safe and sound use of a grounded portable wash and work station, it is important to regularly check the grounding connections and make sure they are secure. It is also important to only use the unit in areas with proper ventilation and to follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer.

Back