A Beautiful Mind: Jennifer Connelly's Puzzle Problem

• Thread starter Jeff Ford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, "A Beautiful Mind" is a biographical drama that follows the life of mathematician John Nash and his struggle with schizophrenia. The film also explores the complex relationship between Nash and his wife, Alicia, played by Jennifer Connelly. In particular, Connelly's character is portrayed as a strong and supportive partner who helps Nash in his battle against mental illness. However, she also faces her own challenges as she tries to understand and cope with her husband's condition. Through Connelly's powerful performance, the film sheds light on the impact of mental illness on both the individual and their loved ones.
Jeff Ford
I know, I'm years behind the rest of the world, but I just saw this for the first time. I've been wondering what the problem is he writes on the board that Jennifer Connelly tries to solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I've never seen the movie, but someone told me I needed to watch it!

I want to know what the math problem in Good will hunting that the main character solves is.

Smurf said:
I want to know what the math problem in Good will hunting that the main character solves is.
Find
1) the adjacency matrix A
2) the matrix giving the number of three step walks
3) the generation function for walks from i -> j
4) the generation function for walks from 1 -> 3

Last edited:
Okay you're going to have to explain that in (just a few) more words...

I`d like to be able to help but my maths knowledge is very poor!:grumpy:
I know what the question is, as i asked myself the same question you did? but i don`t know how to solve it:confused:
try this for some more info
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/AdjacencyMatrix.html

oh and it is solvable the film got it wrong.

Last edited:

1. What was the puzzle that Jennifer Connelly's character was working on in "A Beautiful Mind"?

In the film, Jennifer Connelly's character, Alicia Nash, was working on a puzzle called the "Proust Questionnaire". This is a series of questions designed to reveal one's personality and beliefs.

2. Was the puzzle important to the plot of the movie?

Yes, the puzzle served as a metaphor for the struggles and challenges faced by John Nash in his battle with schizophrenia. It also represented Alicia's efforts to understand and connect with her husband.

3. Did the puzzle have a real-world significance?

Yes, the Proust Questionnaire is a real psychological tool used to assess an individual's personality. However, it is typically used in a more formal setting and not as a puzzle or game.

4. Did Jennifer Connelly actually solve the puzzle in the movie?

Yes, in the movie, Alicia is shown solving the puzzle and using it to communicate with her husband. However, it is important to note that this is a fictionalized account and it is unclear if the real Alicia Nash actually solved the puzzle in real life.

5. Did the puzzle have any deeper meaning in the movie?

The puzzle can be interpreted as a representation of the challenges and obstacles faced by individuals with mental illness. It also symbolizes the power of love and connection in overcoming these challenges. Ultimately, the puzzle serves as a powerful metaphor for the central themes of the movie.