Struggling with Mechanics? Need a Book with More Examples?

In summary, the individual is struggling with Symon and seeking a good Mechanics book with thorough examples to supplement their learning. Marion, Schaums, Goldstein, and Landau are recommended as useful resources. However, one should be cautious of the newer edition of Marion, which has received negative reviews due to Stephen Thornton's additions.
bcoats
I am really struggling through Symon. I understand the mathematical proofs and perhaps the reasoning as well, but I really have problems completing any of the exercises. [I am speaking primarily of Ch.3 and later.] Without thorough examples worked step-by-step, I often find it very difficult to decide how to even begin solving the problems. Unfortunately, my prof doesn't do many examples either, so I'm at my wits end. Does anyone know a good Mechanics book with plenty of examples (particularly when it comes to rotating coordinate systems) that I could use as a second reference? A prof recommended Marion, but I can't seem to find a copy around here.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought Marion was pretty good when I used it. I recommended it to my son as a supplement when he took Mechanics, and he liked it enough to buy a used copy. Check used sites like www.bookfinder.com if you'd like to do the same. He found an inexpensive copy of the 2nd (1970) edition.
Edit: You might ask your professor to loan you his copy for a week if you want to check it out!

a second vote for Marion...
You might also try to get a Schaum's Outline for Theoretical Mechanics.

Find in a library:
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/top3mset/400f5a3ae4096a51a19afeb4da09e526.html
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/wcpa/top3mset/393a43cf6cd78a93a19afeb4da09e526.html (older)

Third vote for Marion.

My copy is 30 years old and getting a bit worn.

I have seen other books that do a much better treatment of rotational dynamics, but those tend to be graduate level texts.

Thanks for the tip, you guys. I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere.

Marion and Thornton's Classical Dynamics of Particles & Systems is what I use, along with Kleppner's and Kolenkow's An Introduction to Mechanics, although the latter is greatly simplified.

After reading Marion, just for fun, see if you can follow Landau & Lifschitz' treatment. Just for fun.

It should be a useful reading.

Daniel.

Marion, Schaums, then Goldstein and Landau. Know those and you'll know more mechanics than you'll ever want to admit.

Are you guys referring to an older edition of Marion? The Amazon reviews of Marion and Thronton doesn't seem very good.

neutrino said:
Are you guys referring to an older edition of Marion? The Amazon reviews of Marion and Thronton doesn't seem very good.
One of those amazon reviews says the problem is with Thornton's additions:
I don't agree with 5 stars..., October 17, 2005
Reviewer: Eunsin Lee (College Station, TX USA) - See all my reviews

There is only one reason : Stephen Thornton has spoiled Marion's original masterpiece. If you can get the 2nd edition, which Thornton didn't join yet, just compare it with current one. Except this, I dare to say this book is the best intermediate classical mechanics textbook. This was the bible of classical mechanics, but not any more.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0124722520/?tag=pfamazon01-20 you can probably find cheaper used copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was referring to the 2nd edition. I haven't looked at the 3rd.

Thank you, JesseM and marcusl.

1. What makes "A Better Mechanics Book" different from other mechanics books on the market?

"A Better Mechanics Book" is different because it uses a concise and easy-to-understand writing style, as well as informative illustrations and examples to explain complex mechanics concepts. It also includes interactive exercises and practice problems to help readers apply their knowledge.

2. Can this book be used by beginners or is it more suited for advanced mechanics students?

"A Better Mechanics Book" is designed to be accessible for both beginners and advanced students. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon those concepts, making it suitable for readers of all levels.

3. What topics does "A Better Mechanics Book" cover?

This book covers a wide range of topics in mechanics, including kinematics, dynamics, work and energy, momentum, and rotational motion. It also delves into more advanced topics such as oscillations, fluids, and thermodynamics.

4. How does "A Better Mechanics Book" incorporate real-world applications?

"A Better Mechanics Book" includes numerous real-world examples and applications throughout the text to help readers see the relevance of mechanics in everyday life. It also includes case studies and problem-solving scenarios to further demonstrate the practical applications of mechanics principles.

5. Is "A Better Mechanics Book" suitable for self-study or is it better used as a textbook in a classroom setting?

"A Better Mechanics Book" can be used in both self-study and classroom settings. It is designed to be a comprehensive guide for individuals who want to learn mechanics on their own, but it can also be used as a textbook for students in a classroom setting.