A better way to imagine the time space continuum.

In summary, the laws determining the passage of light through varying densities of transparent material and through varying "acceleration" caused by a common field of gravity have similarities.
the_truth
The laws determinning the passage of light through varying densities of transparent material and through varying "acceleration" caused by a common field of gravity have similarities.

I prefer to think of warping of the time space continuum as an increase in density. Light bends as it passes from one medium into a denser or into glass, or in the case of the time space continuum, a field of varying density. In the case of light orbitting a black hole, you would simply have to imagine a very huge change in "density", enough to prevent light from leaving. The very center of a black hole is an infinitely small point and the light would still end up orbitting the black hole in some extremely tight orbit. It would also take a long time to travel through the dense field due to time dilation, which is similar to how light slows down in dense transparent objects. Bearing in mind light cannot gain momentum and if it did have some theoretical momentum (in relation to the displacement it cause when it interacts with a mass) it would take something like 10^50 years to come orbit the center of the black hole and leave out the other end (it's called an event horizon for a reason!).

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious thing to be pointed out is that spacetime (in GR) is a continuum, but we know that matter is not. Light doesn't slow down when it passes through transparent matter because it is a dense continuum, it slows down because it is absorbed and reemitted by the atoms.

Interesting article: http://livescience.com/technology/050819_fastlight.html.

Also, there are some very good alternative theories on why light is slowed in a medium - JJ Thompson derived a complete set of mathematical relationships based upon classical principles that conform with experimental results. In summary, Thompson showed that the interaction of the electric field of the light wave with the corpuscles that comprise the atoms of the medium (electrons and nucleus) would produce a separation polarizaion - increasing the inductive capacity of the medium and therefore the refractive index.

the_truth said:
The laws determinning the passage of light through varying densities of transparent material and through varying "acceleration" caused by a common field of gravity have similarities.

I prefer to think of warping of the time space continuum as an increase in density.

This looks like a great candidate for the "theory development" forum to me. It doesn't seem to be about relativity, but about someone's pet theory.

See the work of prof. J. Almeida on "4-dimensional optics" here.
For those who are not inclined to reading scientific literature I will say that the whole theory is very reminiscent of geometric optics in 4-dimensionsional form, hence the designation of 4-dimensional optics. The worldlines of particles and bodies are seen to be the geodesics of 4-dimensional space with signature (++++). The variational principle for geodesics is seen to be the perfect extension of Fermat's principle when 4-dimensions are considered

Thank for all the insights, I never thought that light could be absorbed and re-emitted at exactly the same frequency and in the general direction it originally came from, it seems a little far fetched. I thought that most light passed through the electron fields interacting between atoms and the spectrum of light absorbed and let through depended on the frequency of the electron field. I can imagine perhaps light being affected by the electrons. I had better read up on some of the theories and facts put forward on this matter.

"It doesn't seem to be about relativity, but about someone's pet theory."

Definately a bit better than the rubber sheet model..

pervect said:
This looks like a great candidate for the "theory development" forum to me. It doesn't seem to be about relativity, but about someone's pet theory.

Agree.

the_truth - - Trying posting your ideas to our Independent Research forum if you would like to pursue this idea further. (But be sure to read the guidelines first!) Thanks.

1. What is the time space continuum?

The time space continuum is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between time and space. It suggests that time and space are not separate entities, but rather a unified fabric that forms the foundation of the universe.

2. Why is it important to imagine a better way to understand the time space continuum?

The time space continuum is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe. By imagining a better way to understand it, we can gain a deeper understanding of how the universe works and potentially make new discoveries in the field of physics.

3. How does the time space continuum relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is based on the concept of the time space continuum. It suggests that time and space are relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This theory has been proven through numerous experiments and is a cornerstone of modern physics.

4. Can the time space continuum be visualized?

While the time space continuum is a complex concept, there are various visual representations that can help us understand it better. For example, the popular "rubber sheet" analogy used to explain gravity is a visualization of the time space continuum.

5. How can understanding the time space continuum impact our daily lives?

While the time space continuum may seem like a concept reserved for physicists, understanding it can have practical applications in our daily lives. For example, GPS technology relies on our understanding of the time space continuum to accurately pinpoint locations on Earth. Additionally, advancements in space travel and exploration are also influenced by our understanding of this concept.