Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Biblical plague of locusts

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    I just walked across the street to get something to eat and a grasshopper jumped into my eye. I don't know if it deliberate or just because there are TONS of them outside right now.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, so glad I live in a place that doesn't get insect plagues...:yuck:...!
  4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    When we have things like this, like last summer, I'd go outside with a bb gun and hone my sniping skills. That was always fun.
  5. Sep 8, 2008 #4
    Snipe-shooting grasshoppers would be impressive indeed.
  6. Sep 8, 2008 #5
    Very fun.
  7. Sep 9, 2008 #6
    i have a nice powerful airsoft gun to take care of problems like that.
  8. Sep 9, 2008 #7
    Biblical? Do in Rome what the Romans do and eat them. Tip for MiH?
  9. Sep 9, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both crickets and grasshoppers are plentiful around here, but they seem to arrive this time every year. I think it's time to give up on the tomatoes I've been trying to grow...when I watered them yesterday, a cricket jumped off the plant onto my foot. :rolleyes: What the crazy weather hasn't killed off yet, the crickets and grasshoppers seem ready to finish.
  10. Sep 9, 2008 #9
    How does one manage to hit a target that small?
  11. Sep 9, 2008 #10
    Uck. I remember one year on the farm where grasshoppers were so bad in our area, they were pretty well destroying crops they were so bad. Everyones vehicles were coated in grasshopper guts and had that distinctive dead grasshopper smell, some places were so bad the road looked like it was moving. You would walk out in the field to look at the crop and they would be buzzing all around you and hitting you. It was gross.
  12. Sep 9, 2008 #11
    Once when I was a kid there was a plague of crickets in my town. I lived in a cul-de-sac and me and the neighbor kids took a big can of PVC cement and went around dropping some on each cricket. It didn't seem to be killing them so we decided to light one on fire. As soon as we lit it the flames took off and shot to each cricket we had cemented. The whole cul-de-sac was on fire for a couple of seconds. Got in a little bit of trouble for that one.
  13. Sep 9, 2008 #12
    I've eaten a grasshopper, really no taste when cooked. Just pull off the head and entrails and skewer it on some grass.

How does one hit a target so small? Hey I wasn't claiming I was shooting a large distance, generally it was just a few yards.
  14. Sep 9, 2008 #13
    I know positively zero about shooting anything. Ergo: I can envision hitting a large target but not a small one, no matter the distance.
  15. Sep 9, 2008 #14

Homework Helper

When you're shooting at a plague of them it's not that hard to hit one.
  16. Sep 10, 2008 #15
    I thought zero was always neutral... ;-)
  17. Sep 10, 2008 #16
    It is. And I'm convinced of its neutrality. ;-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?