1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A big asteroid.

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    There is a movie coming about about the world ending, it's not the same tone as 2012, it's more of a romantic comedy.It's called "Seeking a friend for the end of the World". Anyway the trailer mentions that the asteroid coming towards earth is 70 miles wide. I was thinking that would obliterate the Earth. I mean obviously it will wipe out all life, but could an asteroid that massive cause the Earth to break into pieces.
    Assume the it's a spherical rock, 70 miles wide means a 35 mile wide radius. Our atmosphere is only 300-400 miles tall. I'm guessing that it would enter the atmosphere and make contact with the ground or ocean in an instant at that size.
    I would try to calculate the kinetic energy it would have, but seeing as though I took classical physics like 3 semesters ago I don't remember everything. I'm also pretty sure my book wouldn't have everything to needed to calculate the energy involved.
    I know this is just a hypothetical situation but I thought if anyone would have fun calculating some numbers about this, I would find them here.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted