A biological semiconductor?

In summary: Intanon, a physicist at the University of California, Irvine, has proposed using a quantum computer to simulate proteins.In summary, scientists are trying to find ways to simulate proteins using a quantum computer in order to better understand them. This would be a very difficult task, and may not be possible for some time.
GNRtau
Right, so I'm a freshman in college right now, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Would it be possible to get a biological system to imitate or act like a semiconductor or nanoelectronic device or is that a fantasy? Does anyone here have experience doing it? Or perhaps use nanoelectronics to solve biological problems by integrating them with the human body on a cellular level?

Who knows, I might end up doing my Phd thesis on this!(just a joke...)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Biological systems can imitate passive analog audio circuits (or vice versa). In the case of insect binaural directional hearing, both the cricket and certain flies have internal structures to convert a binaural amplitude disparity to a constant amplitude phase difference.

Wow, haven't looked at this for a while, forgot about it. Sorry for reproducing an old discussion, but I'll check these out. I've also found a couple of a papers on the subject, trying to learn more.

I'm guessing this is a multidisciplinary line of research, but what sort of courses would be useful in order to get into a field doing this?

For anyone interested, here is a good one I found. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v468/n7323/full/468516a.html

Last edited by a moderator:
GNRtau,

Would it be possible to get a biological system to imitate or act like a semiconductor or nanoelectronic device or is that a fantasy?

Those are two disparate subjects. To consider your first question, do you know what a semiconductor is? Why do you think a biological semiconductor would be better than a inorganic one? If it cannot do what a silicon semiconductor can do, why consider it?

In what way are you thinking of a "biological semiconductor" acting or imitating a inorganic one. Silicon semiconductors do a lot of things. What do you think biologicals can do that silicon can't?

For anyone interested, here is a good one I found. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v468/n7323/full/468516a.html

Is $18.00 that they want for a copy interesting enough?

Ratch

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a biological semiconductor?

A biological semiconductor is a material that can conduct electricity, similar to a traditional semiconductor, but is made from organic materials found in living organisms.

2. How is a biological semiconductor different from a traditional semiconductor?

A biological semiconductor is made from organic materials, while a traditional semiconductor is made from inorganic materials such as silicon. Additionally, biological semiconductors tend to be more flexible and have a lower environmental impact.

3. What are the potential applications of biological semiconductors?

Biological semiconductors have the potential to be used in a variety of applications such as flexible electronics, biosensors, and biofuel cells. They also have potential in medical devices and drug delivery systems.

4. What are the advantages of using biological semiconductors?

One of the main advantages of using biological semiconductors is their biodegradability, making them more environmentally friendly. They also have the potential to be cheaper to produce and can be used in more diverse applications due to their flexibility.

5. What are the current challenges in using biological semiconductors?

One of the main challenges in using biological semiconductors is their relatively low conductivity compared to traditional semiconductors. There is also a need for further research and development to optimize their properties and stability for practical use in various applications.