Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A biological semiconductor?

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    Right, so I'm a freshman in college right now, so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Would it be possible to get a biological system to imitate or act like a semiconductor or nanoelectronic device or is that a fantasy? Does anyone here have experience doing it? Or perhaps use nanoelectronics to solve biological problems by integrating them with the human body on a cellular level?

Who knows, I might end up doing my Phd thesis on this!(just a joke...)

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
  4. May 15, 2012 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. May 16, 2012 #4
    Biological systems can imitate passive analog audio circuits (or vice versa). In the case of insect binaural directional hearing, both the cricket and certain flies have internal structures to convert a binaural amplitude disparity to a constant amplitude phase difference.

6. Jun 23, 2012 #5
    Wow, haven't looked at this for a while, forgot about it. Sorry for reproducing an old discussion, but I'll check these out. I've also found a couple of a papers on the subject, trying to learn more.

I'm guessing this is a multidisciplinary line of research, but what sort of courses would be useful in order to get into a field doing this?

For anyone interested, here is a good one I found. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v468/n7323/full/468516a.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  7. Jun 23, 2012 #6
    GNRtau,

Those are two disparate subjects. To consider your first question, do you know what a semiconductor is? Why do you think a biological semiconductor would be better than a inorganic one? If it cannot do what a silicon semiconductor can do, why consider it?

In what way are you thinking of a "biological semiconductor" acting or imitating a inorganic one. Silicon semiconductors do a lot of things. What do you think biologicals can do that silicon can't?

Is $18.00 that they want for a copy interesting enough?

Ratch

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook