Fixing a Hartke A35 Bass Amp: 220V Power Source Issue

• Thread starter jkv6391
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, it seems that the Hartke A35 bass amp has a problem with blown fuses. The advice was to replace the fuse, and see what happens.
jkv6391
Okay, before I say anything else, the power source here is 220V.
Right. So today I was changing the fuse on my Hartke A35 bass amp. I accidentally used a 5A fuse instead of the 1A one. now it won't work. Am I screwed?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you smell smoke? Probably an output transistor smoked... Could it just be a blown speaker fuse or another blown fuse somewhere?

I concur with Berkeman. If you can open up the box and sniff around the circuit, you may be able to detect a burned transistor. Components that drew too much current may appear discolored.

I found a http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/A25-35_ownman_v1s.pdf for your model on the web. It suggests a 1.6A, 3AG slo-blo fuse for the A35 (35Watt model) While you have the box open, look around inside for more fuses. It is possible they may have used internal fuses as an added precaution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the internals; there's nothing that suggests a burned transistor but there is an extra 1A fuse in there. I'll get a few new extra fuses then and see if it works.
Thanks, guys.

There must be some short in the amp to make it blow fuses in the first place. Did the orginal 1A fuse burn out to require replacement?? If everything else was in good working condition, you should be able to bridge the fuse terminals with a nickle and not 'smoke' anything. So there must be some problem like a short.

jkv6391 said:
I just checked the internals; there's nothing that suggests a burned transistor but there is an extra 1A fuse in there. I'll get a few new extra fuses then and see if it works.
Thanks, guys.

It still quite possible that some components (such as output transistor) may be blown even though they do not look burned. After replacing the fuse, see what happens.. Here are a few possible outcomes: (a) the amplifier works, (b) the amplifier does not work but fuse doesn't burn , (c) the amplifier does not work and fuse continues to blow.
For (a) you've solved your problem, yea! :biggrin: (b) you probably have a burned component (c) you likely have a short to ground.

For (b) and (c) if you're not electronically inclined, bring it someone who is and have them troubleshoot it. I would not use Homer's suggestion about bridging the fuse terminals with a thick conductor. If you do have a short, bridging will cause more harm!

Last edited:
I would not use Homer's suggestion

That sounds like good advice.

(what I meant to point out is that if everything was wired fine it should not be blowing fuses. I have a bad feeling though that it was fault current that blew your 1 amp fuse. That same fault would have been present with the 5 amp fuse, so if you are lucky the parts were robust enough to handle 5 amps and it is the fuse that blew. If you are unlucky, the 5 amp fuse is intact and somthing else opened the circuit. On the sunny side however, you would still have a perfect 5 amp fuse!:uhh: )

Last edited:

1. How do I fix a Hartke A35 Bass Amp that is not working on a 220V power source?

The first step in fixing this issue is to check the power source. Make sure that the amp is plugged into a 220V outlet and that the outlet is functioning properly. If the outlet is working, then the issue may lie within the amp itself.

2. What could be causing the amp to not work on a 220V power source?

There are a few possible causes for this issue. It could be a faulty power supply, a blown fuse, or a damaged power cord. It is also possible that there is an internal issue with the amp itself.

3. Can I fix the issue myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

If you are comfortable working with electronics and have some experience with amp repair, you may be able to fix the issue yourself. However, if you are unsure or do not have the necessary skills or tools, it is best to take it to a professional to avoid causing further damage.

4. How much will it cost to fix a Hartke A35 Bass Amp with a 220V power source issue?

The cost of repairing the amp will depend on the specific issue and the extent of the damage. If it is a simple fix, it may only cost a small amount for parts and labor. However, if the issue is more complex, it could be more expensive. It is best to get a quote from a professional before proceeding with the repair.

5. Can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

To prevent this issue from happening again, make sure to use the correct power source for your amp. If you are traveling to a different country with different voltage, make sure to use a voltage converter or purchase a new power supply specifically designed for that country's voltage. It is also important to regularly check and maintain your amp to prevent any potential issues from arising.