Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bit of a pickle

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1
    Okay, before I say anything else, the power source here is 220V.
    Right. So today I was changing the fuse on my Hartke A35 bass amp. I accidentally used a 5A fuse instead of the 1A one. now it won't work. Am I screwed?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Did you smell smoke? Probably an output transistor smoked.... Could it just be a blown speaker fuse or another blown fuse somewhere?

4. Apr 10, 2006 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I concur with Berkeman. If you can open up the box and sniff around the circuit, you may be able to detect a burned transistor. Components that drew too much current may appear discolored.

I found a manual for your model on the web. It suggests a 1.6A, 3AG slo-blo fuse for the A35 (35Watt model) While you have the box open, look around inside for more fuses. It is possible they may have used internal fuses as an added precaution.

5. Apr 11, 2006 #4
    I just checked the internals; there's nothing that suggests a burned transistor but there is an extra 1A fuse in there. I'll get a few new extra fuses then and see if it works.
    Thanks, guys.

6. Apr 11, 2006 #5
    There must be some short in the amp to make it blow fuses in the first place. Did the orginal 1A fuse burn out to require replacement?? If everthing else was in good working condition, you should be able to bridge the fuse terminals with a nickle and not 'smoke' anything. So there must be some problem like a short.

7. Apr 12, 2006 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It still quite possible that some components (such as output transistor) may be blown even though they do not look burned. After replacing the fuse, see what happens.. Here are a few possible outcomes: (a) the amplifier works, (b) the amplifier does not work but fuse doesn't burn , (c) the amplifier does not work and fuse continues to blow.
    For (a) you've solved your problem, yea!! :biggrin: (b) you probably have a burned component (c) you likely have a short to ground.

For (b) and (c) if you're not electronically inclined, bring it someone who is and have them troubleshoot it. I would not use Homer's suggestion about bridging the fuse terminals with a thick conductor. If you do have a short, bridging will cause more harm!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  8. Apr 14, 2006 #7
    That sounds like good advice.

(what I meant to point out is that if everything was wired fine it should not be blowing fuses. I have a bad feeling though that it was fault current that blew your 1 amp fuse. That same fault would have been present with the 5 amp fuse, so if you are lucky the parts were robust enough to handle 5 amps and it is the fuse that blew. If you are unlucky, the 5 amp fuse is intact and somthing else opened the circuit. On the sunny side however, you would still have a perfect 5 amp fuse!:uhh: )

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?