1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bit of algebra

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1
    I'm not sure how to do this:

[3x-1/3 + x5/3y] / x2/3

this is what i did:

[3 + x5/3y ]/ x1/3x2/3

[3+ x5/3y]/x

the answer to the problem is the same as what I have except instead of x^5/3, its x^2.

help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course it is.Put it like that:

[tex] \frac{\frac{3}{x^{\frac{1}{3}}}+x^{\frac{5}{3}}y}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}} [/tex]

Do you see where that x^{2} is coming from...?

Daniel.

4. Mar 13, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your 1.step, that is, extracting [tex]x^{-\frac{1}{3}}[/tex] from the parenthesis has been done incorrectly.
    Try to figure out why.

5. Mar 13, 2005 #4
    u can take x^2/3 in factor for the numerator, u will have:

[x^2/3(3x^-1 +xy)]/x^2/3

then u simplify and obtain

3/x + xy

which leads to (3 + yx^2)/x

6. Mar 13, 2005 #5
    no.
    I don't see it.

how are you factoring a x^2/3 when the smallest power is -1/3 ? if you factor that out, x^5/3 should be x^1/3.

help.

7. Mar 13, 2005 #6
    [tex]\frac{\frac{3}{x^{\frac{1}{3}}} + x^{\frac{5}{3}}y}{x^{\frac{2}{3}}} = { \left( \frac{3}{x^{\frac{1}{3}}} + x^{\frac{5}{3}}y \right) \over x^{\frac{2}{3}}}\cdot \frac{x^{\frac{1}{3}}}{x^{\frac{1}{3}}} = \frac{3 + x^2y}{x}[/tex]

I only posted this because I think you're getting more confused by the replies so far. Try to take a lesson from the method I used to simplify (that is, multiplying by 1 is a good idea sometimes!).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?