Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bit of feedback

1. May 5, 2015 #1

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now that I'm here: what's the place for forum software questions. Please migrate these to a suitable place:

[edit] post was beamed here by some good spirit. My first thread :smile: !​

1. The drop-down lists at the top are way too sticky: they drop down when you incidentally move the mouse over and stay down until you click somewhere in the top bar. Symmetric behavious would be for them to roll up when the mouse leaves again.

2. I still have that symbols (from the ##\Sigma## button) go to the top left of the editing window instead of where the cursor was. On several of my many computers the smileys go there too. Must be some setting on the computer ? But how to find & fix that ?

3. Some settings in my computer capitalize normal words like Always, Wikipedia and several more. Regional settings ? Other ideosyncracies ?
    And where do I go to get rid of the red wiggly lines under about half the words ?

4. Nowadays display math gets centered. The TeX flavour used for PF doesn't recognize \hfil or \hskip. What's the incantation to do things like left adjusment, right adjustment. And, while at it, I seem to remember useful goodies like \eqalign . In short: where to find what works and what doesn't. Trial and error is so 22nd century; gimme a user manual any time :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For me with Firefox on Vista, I can click anywhere else on the page to get rid of the pull-down menu... :smile:

4. May 5, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Found it: it's clicking in the editor window that doesn't work. IE 11 and also Google Chrome 42.....
    But even the 'normal', behaviour is annoying.

5. May 5, 2015 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You've got a spellchecker enabled in your browser. Disable it or change to English. (try right-clicking in the edit box and see if there's something like 'languages' there. I'm only familiar with Firefox)

6. May 5, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello BS, thanks for the hint. Found it in IE internet options programs add-ins (if I'm not mistranslating). And turned it off. Although it was called a spelling checker, switching it off also got rid of the capitalization. So I'm doubly (double ?) happy now !

Right-clicking in the edit box made me discover an MS F12 developer tool. Something to explore when time to kill.

7. May 5, 2015 #6

berkeman

I'm not sure he's going to like that nickname... :wink:

8. May 5, 2015 #7

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I'm surprised it hadn't come up earlier.

9. May 5, 2015 #8

berkeman

ROFLMAO! :smile:

10. May 5, 2015 #9

Evo

You aren't alone, read this thread, or jump to the end. It's not just you.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/stickyness-of-drop-down-menus.799464/

11. May 5, 2015 #10

Mark44

The F12 developer tools are common to most browsers, including Chrome and Firefox, and as you found, IE. They're very helpful if you do any sort of web development, where a web page talks to another web page using, for example HTTP.

12. May 6, 2015 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All in good spirit. I checked the profile info and figured the snatch could bear this kind of corniness. Still have to read AiW, seems to be indispensable to talk the talk.

A non-native english speaker - doing his best

13. May 6, 2015 #12

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. May 6, 2015 #13
  15. May 6, 2015 #14

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know that dictionary. But if it's genuine, your proposal doesn't help:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bander

However, snatch is even (at the bottom of the list) in the brittanica. At least bander isn't.
    Such a rich language :rolleyes:

What about frumious ? Snapper ? Grabber ? Or just "quick one" ? (you can see I made an effort !)

16. May 6, 2015 #15

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh boy, is this an open forum ? Raghav, get back to your work !

(great minds think alike ?)

17. May 7, 2015 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:oldlaugh: After you two, now I don't even care are the stickyness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook