Calculating Air Speed & Water Height in Straws

In summary: What do you mean by "delta h"?In summary, the adult can exhale 1.5 liters of air through their mouths in as little as 1.0 seconds. The pressure at the top of the water straw is approximated to be 1000kg/m3. The height at which water rises in the vertical straw is .1848 meters.
ruffkilla

Homework Statement

Tests of lung capacity show that adults are able to exhale 1.5 liters of air through their mouths in as little as 1.0 seconds. a)if a person blows air at this rate through a drinking straw with a diameter of 0.60 cm, what is the speed of air in the straw? b) if the air from the straw in part (a) is directer horizontally across the upper end of a second straw that is vertical in water, to what height does water rise in the vertical straw.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have found the answer to part (a) and it is 53 m/s and it is correct. however, i have no idea how to approach b. any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you need to use Bernoulli's eqn. The velocity of the airstream across the other straw will reduce the ambient pressure.

i tried that, but I am not sure exactly how it works. i got something like 140 cm when the answer is 19 cm.

Perhaps if you showed your work, we could give you a hand...

for a) i got the radius of straw r=.003 m
area and 1.5 L is .0015 m^3. Divide cubic meters by area of straw, and got 53.1 m/s

But for part b) How do you use Bernoulli's eqn? Do you assume the pressure at the top of the straw is appoxamately zero, since the air is being blown off?

When I assume that, I get a little over 10 meters... and that can't be right.

No, Bernoulli's law connects the speed of air across the straw with the pressure. Use Bernoulli's law to calculate the pressure.

so do I use the equation twice?
101.3 kPa = Pressure + (.5*1.29*53*53)

Pressure = 99488 Pascals

and then plug that in using water's density as rho the next time?

I got the difference in pressure as being 1812 Pacals.

so that equals 1000kg/m3 * 9.8 m/s * delta h ?

the height is .1848 meters?

That doesn't make sense still.

1. How do you calculate air speed in a straw?

To calculate air speed in a straw, you will need to measure the distance the air travels through the straw and the time it takes for the air to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the air speed. This can be done using the equation: air speed = distance/time.

2. Can you calculate air speed in a straw without a timer?

Yes, you can calculate air speed in a straw without a timer by using a known distance and measuring the time it takes for the air to travel that distance. However, using a timer will provide more accurate results.

3. How do you determine the water height in a straw?

To determine the water height in a straw, you will need to measure the distance between the water surface and the top of the straw. Then, use a ruler to measure the height of the column of water in the straw. This will give you the water height in the straw.

4. What is the relationship between air speed and water height in a straw?

The relationship between air speed and water height in a straw is inversely proportional. This means as the air speed increases, the water height decreases and vice versa. This is due to the principles of fluid dynamics, where a decrease in pressure (caused by faster air speed) results in a decrease in water height.

5. How does the diameter of the straw affect the calculation of air speed and water height?

The diameter of the straw does not affect the calculation of air speed and water height. These calculations are based on the distance traveled and time taken, which remain the same regardless of the straw's diameter. However, a wider straw may allow for a larger volume of air, resulting in a faster air speed and a higher water height in the straw.