1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A book about the elements

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I was watching a series of videos on youtube on most elements. They explained some uses of the elements and demonstrated some of their common reactions. I got excited because it was the first time I saw fluorine and reaction of Potassium with water. The videos were very short (ave. 3min) and I wanted more. Is there a nice book dedicated solely to the elements of the periodic table, their uses, their strange properties etc . . . a book that can bring to life these elements not just tabulated information. I have a first year knowledge in chemistry so I guess I'm comfortable with some inorganic chemistry.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Short answer: no.
    There are too many elements and too many possible combinations.
    OTOH: you could look at any text book on inorganic chemistry.
    You will already have noticed that "chemistry" is "about the elements".

4. May 14, 2014 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I know you asked for a book, but this link has a lot of interesting information about the elements, including photos, history, uses, etc.

5. May 14, 2014 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

6. May 14, 2014 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook