Where can I find a challenging but rewarding follow-up to Spivak's Calculus?

In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around the search for a good follow-up book on multivariate analysis after completing Spivak's "pure" math, with the suggestion of "Calculus on Manifolds" being mentioned but deemed too heavy on linear algebra. Suggestions for other books include Courant's "Calculus" volume II, and Hubbard's "Vector Analysis". The conversation also includes a discussion on the use of linear algebra in multivariate analysis and the importance of having a strong foundation in it. Finally, there are suggestions for more affordable books such as "Linear Algebra Done Right" and "Advanced Calculus", as well as tips on finding cheaper copies of textbooks online.
Astrum
I'm finishing up Spivak, after a break from "pure" math. I'm looking for a good follow up on multivariate analysis. I've heard that "Calculus on Manifolds" uses a lot of linear algebra (which I know very little of), so I'm on the look out for another suggestion.

I'm looking for a book on the analysis side, rather than computational, in the spirit of Spivak (which is rather challenging, yet rewarding!).

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Courant volume II( Calculus) might be want you are looking for. I think you'll find a lot of similiarity between the way Spivak and Courant write and introduction material.

However, I do suggest you hold off on proof focused multivariate book, until you have a decent foot hold in linear algebra. I think, in many ways, the concepts form a more clear and concise picture when you can look at the subject from the lense of linear algebra.

I doubt there exists a multivariate analysis book that doesn't heavily use LA. On the most basic level, arguably the most important theorem in multivariate analysis, the inverse function theorem, is itself one that relies on linear algebra.

Alright, so, I think I'll use Stewart for multivariate (computational).

Can you recommend a LA book? And after this, I can move on to a proof based text, correct?

By the way, I like the smell of Spivak's book. o_O

Last edited:
Astrum said:
Alright, so, I think I'll use Stewart for multivariate (computational).

Can you recommend a LA book? And after this, I can move on to a proof based text, correct?

By the way, I like the smell of Spivak's book. o_O
I really like Axler, Linear Algebra Done Right. You can go to the math subtextbook forum to read reviews and opinions of it.

micromass said:
I think you might want to do a book like Hubbard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130414085/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It covers the necessary linear algebra in a nice way and then goes to multivariable calculus.

x2. I think it will satisfy both your computational and theoretical needs. Beautiful book. Everything is well motivated and there are even many interesting applications. This book gets me incredibly excited about math every time I read it. If you include the appendix, you will be busy for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jorriss said:
I really like Axler, Linear Algebra Done Right. You can go to the math subtextbook forum to read reviews and opinions of it.

I'll check this one out, thanks.
micromass said:
I think you might want to do a book like Hubbard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130414085/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It covers the necessary linear algebra in a nice way and then goes to multivariable calculus.

This is pretty expensive, is the 2nd edition really better than the first? I'd like to save some money, if possible.

There is also the much more gentle but unfortunately very computational "Analysis on Manifolds" - Munkres that you can take a look at.

WannabeNewton said:
There is also the much more gentle but unfortunately very computational "Analysis on Manifolds" - Munkres that you can take a look at.

I'm really looking for a theoretical pure math approach to it. I've got a book (two in fact) for computational, which is good enough for physics, I suppose, I just happen to enjoy pure math.

I'm thinking of two different approaches. 1. Buy the all in one book, or 2. buy Linear Algebra Done Right, and I'll buy Spivak after.

Has anyone taken a look at Calculus on Manifolds from Spivak?

Yes I am rather well acquainted with the book. The exercises are much better than those in Munkres but it isn't the best multivariate analysis book out there; it is rather unmotivated and is not as good as his amazing single variable calculus book. Still, it's better than Munkres in my opinion. There aren't many epsilon delta proofs in it which is a rather large disappointment since they are so fun, even in higher dimensions, but he has a lot of important elementary results regarding differential forms (and more importantly integration of forms which is so important in physics that you just HAVE to look at it from a pure math perspective). Micro's suggestion of Hubbard is probably the best at the level you are in considering Spivak makes use of a lot of linear algebra that he assumes the reader already knows.

Even if you get another book, Advanced Calculus by Lynn H. Loomis and Shlomo Sternberg is very good at a great value of 0$.
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/
It has self contained basic linear algebra.

Many books are good.
Vector Analysis by H. B. Phillips is good, but out of print. General Vector and Dyadic Analysis by Chen-To Tai is worth looking at, particularly for its coverage of common errors people make, but way too expensive to buy. Vectors, Tensors and the Basic Equations of Fluid Mechanics by Rutherford Aris is cheap and worth having even though it is a bit old fashioned, the first three chapters cover vectors, later chapters unsurprising cover tensors and the basic equations of fluid mechanics.

Last edited:
You can buy the current edition straight from the publisher (Matrix Editions) for approximately $70. I don't know why everyone charges so much for this book (even used on Amazon). This book is very worth the $70 (I usually won't pay more than $15-20 for a book). But I would jump on that $25 older edition.

1. What is "A book After Spivak: Calculus" about?

"A book After Spivak: Calculus" is a comprehensive calculus textbook written by mathematician Michael Spivak. It covers the foundational concepts of calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals, and also explores more advanced topics such as multivariable calculus and differential equations.

2. Is "A book After Spivak: Calculus" suitable for beginners?

No, this textbook is not recommended for beginners. It assumes a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, and is best suited for students who have already completed a pre-calculus course.

3. How is "A book After Spivak: Calculus" different from other calculus textbooks?

One key difference is that this textbook places a strong emphasis on rigorous mathematical proofs and logic, rather than just teaching techniques and formulas. It also includes challenging exercises and problems, making it a popular choice for advanced calculus courses.

4. Can "A book After Spivak: Calculus" be used as a self-study resource?

Yes, this textbook can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a teacher or tutor available for guidance and clarification. The textbook is designed to be used in a classroom setting, so some concepts may be difficult to understand without additional support.

5. Is "A book After Spivak: Calculus" relevant for real-world applications?

Yes, the concepts and techniques taught in this textbook are applicable in many real-world scenarios, such as physics, engineering, and economics. However, it is important to note that this textbook focuses more on the theoretical foundations of calculus rather than practical applications.