1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Book for Complex Analysis!

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    What is a good introductory book for complex analysis for self study?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
  4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    I thought "Complex Variables and Applications" by Brown/Churchill was a fairly good book, although I thought the book was sometimes a little too easy. A lot of problems come with answers and (sometimes an overdose of) hints, so it might be a good book for self study. It is also considered to be a canonical textbook for an undergraduate introductory complex analysis course, so the materials you see on this textbook (mostly chapters 1 through 7) are something you would see in any complex analysis course. The only drawback of this book is the price, so you probably want to get it from your library, or buy a cheaper international edition.

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4
    Fisher is pretty good, dover printing and it's cheap.

6. Jun 12, 2010 #5
    I read a chapter or two of Ahlfors when I took real analysis this past year and found the text fairly impressive. It's extremely well-written and Ahlfors gives a lot of intuition, probably because he was an expert in the field. I do remember that you have the real analysis background, so this text would be appropriate. I'm taking complex in the fall, and I'm attempting to at least understand complex integration well over the summer. Our school uses Lang, but I think many previous math majors have recommended Conway over Lang.

7. Jun 12, 2010 #6
    It depends what you intend to use it for.

A good engineering/applied physics text such as Kreisig contains all you need for this purpose.

Churchill is very engineering oriented.

A classical mathematical introduction can be had from Oxford University

An introduction to the Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable by Copson

A more spicy fully modern treatment is available from Cambridge University

Complex analysis by Stewart and Tall

If you are going to be extending to much Fluid Mechanics the the Alan Jeffrey book

Complex Analysis and Applications is good.

8. Jun 12, 2010 #7

Landau

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook