HS: Solve Integral for Observer's Lifetime in BH

• Thread starter Altabeh
  • Start date
In summary, the integral can be written as \frac{\sqrt{r}}{\sqrt{2m - r}}I would start with an ordinary substitution such as u=sqrt(2m - r) and see if that got me somewhere. Unfortunately, the substitution you offer doesn't work because the integrand then turns again into another indocile function that can't be integrated by any method. I mean the modified integrand -2\sqrt{2m - u^2}is not reducible to a simple function which would be capable of being written in terms of elementary functions if one integrated it wrt the new variable u! So what now?-2\sq
Altabeh

Homework Statement

Hello

The following integral turns out to be a bit nerve-wracking for me as I’ve tried almost any possible way to get the answer but all my efforts got blocked up and fell flat in their face somehow. The integral which may sound familiar is

[tex]\tau=\int_{0}^{2m}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2m/r-1}}}dr[/tex],

and shows the lifetime of an observer swallowed up by the Schwarzschild BH from the time he enters the BH through the hypersurface [tex]r=2m[/tex] to the time he falls into the spacetime singularity at [tex]r=0[/tex] where he is doomed to die dreadfully.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

AB

Physics news on Phys.org
The integrand can be written as
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{r}}{\sqrt{2m - r}}[/tex]

I would start first with an ordinary substitution such as u = sqrt(2m - r) and see if that got me somewhere.

Also, you integrand is undefined at r = 0 and r = 2m, so you have an improper integral than you'll need to use limits to find. Since there are discontinuities at both endpoints, you'll need to split the integral into two separate integrals, with limits for each.

Mark44 said:
The integrand can be written as
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{r}}{\sqrt{2m - r}}[/tex]

I would start first with an ordinary substitution such as u = sqrt(2m - r) and see if that got me somewhere.

Also, you integrand is undefined at r = 0 and r = 2m, so you have an improper integral than you'll need to use limits to find. Since there are discontinuities at both endpoints, you'll need to split the integral into two separate integrals, with limits for each.

Unfortunately the substitution you offer doesn't work because the integrand then turns again into another indocile function that can't be integrated by any method. I mean the modified integrand

[tex]-2\sqrt{2m - u^2}[/tex]

is not reducible to a simple function which would be capable of being written in terms of elementary functions if one integrated it wrt the new variable u! So what now?

Altabeh said:
[tex]-2\sqrt{2m - u^2}[/tex]

Can we put [tex]u^2/2m=\cos^2(k)[/tex] and keep going?

Why not put 2m/r - 1 = u^2 in the original integral?

You might begin with the sub [itex]u=\frac{2m}{r}[/itex], and follow that with an appropriate trig sub.

Altabeh said:
and shows the lifetime of an observer swallowed up by the Schwarzschild BH from the time he enters the BH through the hypersurface [tex]r=2m[/tex] to the time he falls into the spacetime singularity at [tex]r=0[/tex] where he is doomed to die dreadfully.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

AB

I tried a simple substitution x=1/r and seemed to get an answer very quickly using a table for the new integral. It's possible I worked too fast and made a mistake, but you can check it out quickly enough.

1. What is "HS" in relation to solving integrals for an observer's lifetime in a black hole?

"HS" stands for "Hawking radiation spectrum". It is a theoretical prediction by physicist Stephen Hawking that suggests black holes emit radiation at a specific temperature, which is dependent on the black hole's mass. This spectrum is important in solving integrals for an observer's lifetime in a black hole.

2. What is the significance of solving integrals for an observer's lifetime in a black hole?

Solving integrals for an observer's lifetime in a black hole can help us understand the effects of black holes on time and space. It can also provide insight into the behavior of matter and energy near the event horizon of a black hole.

3. How do scientists use integrals to calculate an observer's lifetime in a black hole?

Scientists use mathematical equations and integrals to calculate how time is affected by the intense gravitational pull of a black hole. This involves taking into account factors such as the black hole's mass, velocity, and the distance from the event horizon.

4. Is it possible for an observer to survive inside a black hole?

No, it is not possible for an observer to survive inside a black hole. The intense gravitational pull of a black hole would cause extreme time dilation, making time slow down significantly for the observer. This would ultimately result in the observer experiencing an infinite amount of time before reaching the singularity at the center of the black hole.

5. Can the equations and integrals used to calculate an observer's lifetime in a black hole be applied to other objects in space?

Yes, the equations and integrals used to calculate an observer's lifetime in a black hole can also be applied to other objects in space with strong gravitational fields, such as neutron stars. They can also be used to study the effects of gravity on objects moving at high speeds, such as spacecraft traveling close to the speed of light.