A Bouncing Ball- Check

In summary, the problem involves analyzing the motion of a rubber ball bouncing off the floor. The direction of the acceleration changes depending on whether the ball is compressing or expanding. The forces acting on the ball are the normal force and the weight force. The net force is equal to the total acceleration of the ball. During contact with the ground, the force of the ground is equal to the weight of the ball.
Phoenixtears

Homework Statement

A rubber ball bounces. We'd like to understand how the ball bounces. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)
(a) A rubber ball has been dropped and is bouncing off the floor. Draw a motion diagram of the ball during the brief time interval that it is in contact with the floor. Show 4 or 5 frames as the ball compresses, then another 4 or 5 frames as it expands. What is the direction of 'a' during each of these parts of the motion? (b) Draw a picture of the ball in contact with the floor and identify all forces acting on the ball.

(c) Draw a free-body diagram of the ball during its contact with the ground. Is there a net force acting on the ball? If so, in which direction?

(d) During contact, is the force of the ground on the ball larger, smaller, or equal to the weight of the ball? Use your answers to parts a-c to explain your reasoning.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really here to check the answer that I got. I'm new to forces, and am wondering if certain forces are acting at certain times.

For a), I did 6 frames total. Three compressing the ball and three expanding it. I said that in the first three, the 'a' (which, is the 'a' with a vector symbol above it), is pointed down towards the floor and in the next three frames it points up instead.

b) Normal force, weight, and spring force are all acting upon the ball.

c) I said the net force is pointing down, is that right?

d) The force of the ground is equal to the weight of the ball. How would I use the first three to convey this?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Phoenixtears,

Phoenixtears said:

Homework Statement

A rubber ball bounces. We'd like to understand how the ball bounces. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this work.)
(a) A rubber ball has been dropped and is bouncing off the floor. Draw a motion diagram of the ball during the brief time interval that it is in contact with the floor. Show 4 or 5 frames as the ball compresses, then another 4 or 5 frames as it expands. What is the direction of 'a' during each of these parts of the motion? (b) Draw a picture of the ball in contact with the floor and identify all forces acting on the ball.

(c) Draw a free-body diagram of the ball during its contact with the ground. Is there a net force acting on the ball? If so, in which direction?

(d) During contact, is the force of the ground on the ball larger, smaller, or equal to the weight of the ball? Use your answers to parts a-c to explain your reasoning.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really here to check the answer that I got. I'm new to forces, and am wondering if certain forces are acting at certain times.

For a), I did 6 frames total. Three compressing the ball and three expanding it. I said that in the first three, the 'a' (which, is the 'a' with a vector symbol above it), is pointed down towards the floor and in the next three frames it points up instead.

When the ball is slowing down, the acceleration is in the opposite direction as the velocity. When the ball is speeding up, the acceleration is in the same direction as velocity. Do you see what need to be changed here?

b) Normal force, weight, and spring force are all acting upon the ball.

I'm a bit confused here; is there a spring also? (Was there a diagram in the problem that has this?) If it's just a ball bouncing on the floor, then there is just the force from the floor (the normal force) and the weight force.

c) I said the net force is pointing down, is that right?

How is the net force related to the total acceleration, in terms of directions?

d) The force of the ground is equal to the weight of the ball. How would I use the first three to convey this?

Do you see how to answer this last one now?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I can confirm that your answers are correct. In terms of the direction of 'a', you are correct that it points down during the compression phase and up during the expansion phase. This is due to the fact that the ball is accelerating towards the ground during compression and away from the ground during expansion.

For part b), you correctly identified the forces acting on the ball as the normal force, weight, and spring force. The normal force is the force exerted by the floor on the ball, the weight is the force of gravity pulling the ball towards the ground, and the spring force is the force exerted by the ball's material as it compresses and expands.

In part c), you are correct that the net force acting on the ball during contact with the ground is pointing down. This is because the forces of the normal force, weight, and spring force are all acting in the same direction, towards the ground.

Finally, for part d), you are also correct that the force of the ground on the ball is equal to the weight of the ball. This can be seen by looking at the free-body diagram and recognizing that the normal force and the weight are equal and opposite, canceling each other out. The spring force is also relatively small compared to the weight, so it can be considered negligible in this scenario.

Overall, your understanding and reasoning are correct. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. How does a bouncing ball work?

When a ball is dropped or thrown, it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity. As it hits the ground, the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on the ball, causing it to bounce back up. This process repeats until the ball loses its energy and comes to a stop.

2. What factors affect the height of a bouncing ball?

The height of a bouncing ball is affected by several factors, including the material and elasticity of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and the initial height from which it is dropped. The higher the drop height and the more elastic the ball, the higher it will bounce.

3. Why does a ball bounce higher on a hard surface compared to a soft surface?

When a ball bounces on a hard surface, the surface does not deform much, so more of the ball's energy is conserved and transferred back into the ball, causing it to bounce higher. On a soft surface, the surface deforms more, absorbing more of the ball's energy and resulting in a lower bounce.

4. Can a ball bounce indefinitely?

No, a ball cannot bounce indefinitely. Each time it bounces, it loses some of its energy due to factors such as air resistance and friction. Eventually, the ball will stop bouncing and come to a rest.

5. How can the bouncing of a ball be calculated mathematically?

The bouncing of a ball can be calculated using various mathematical equations, such as the laws of motion and the coefficient of restitution. Factors such as the ball's initial velocity, height, and surface can also be taken into account to determine its bouncing trajectory.