Maximum Compression and Speed of a Spring-Box Collision

In summary, the problem involves a 16.0kg box sliding down a frictionless ramp, colliding with a spring of spring constant 240N/m. The two parts of the problem ask for the maximum compression of the spring and the compression of the spring at the point where the box has its maximum speed. The first attempt at a solution was to use the equation 1/2mv^2 = 1/2ks^2, which resulted in a compressed length of 1.6m. The second attempt used the equation U_g = U_sp or mgh = 1/2ks^2, also resulting in 1.6m. However, the correct answer for part a is 1.98
erok81

Homework Statement

A 16.0kg box slides 4.0m down the frictionless ramp shown in the figure, then collides with a spring whose spring constant is 240N/m.

Figure Attached

It is a two part question, I got neither and don't understand why.

a)What is the maximum compression of the spring?
b)At what compression of the spring does the box have its maximum speed?

Homework Equations

See next section.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I did this two ways. First was to find the velocity at the spring and solve for delta s. This is what I did.
1/2mv^2 = 1/2ks^2 Solving for s using an initial velocity of 6.26 m/s I got a compressed length of 1.6m.

I then did it using U_g = U_sp or mgh = 1/2ks^2 which got me the same answer of 1.6m, still wrong. The correct answer is 1.98m.

The second part I thought was obvious and didn't need a forumla. I figured s soon as the mass hits the spring it is going to slow down. Because of this the max V would be the exact instant before the mass hits the spring, so I said 0cm. This turned out to the wrong as well, the correct answer being 32.7cm. This is the one I am most curious about. How isn't that zero?

Attachments

• knight_Figure_10_69.jpg
    knight_Figure_10_69.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the total vertical distance that the mass travels. It is not just 4sin(30) meters. Once the mass hits the spring, the spring compresses by amount s. So the mass also travels a little more verically by the sin(30) component of s. :wink:

1. What is the concept behind "A Box, A Slope, and a Spring"?

The concept is based on a physics experiment that involves a box placed on a slope with a spring attached to it. The goal is to observe the motion of the box as the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. What is the purpose of conducting this experiment?

The purpose is to explore the relationship between potential and kinetic energy, as well as the effects of gravity and friction on an object's motion.

3. How does the slope affect the motion of the box?

The slope determines the direction and speed of the box's motion. A steeper slope will result in a faster and more downward motion, while a gentler slope will result in a slower and more horizontal motion.

4. What role does the spring play in this experiment?

The spring serves as a source of potential energy that can be converted into kinetic energy as it is stretched or compressed. It also provides a restoring force that brings the box back to its equilibrium position.

5. Can this experiment be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the principles observed in this experiment can be applied to real-life situations, such as the motion of a car on a hill or a rollercoaster on a track. It can also be used to study the behavior of springs in various mechanical systems.