A brick is sliding down a ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a brick sliding down a ramp with given values for acceleration, mass, and the coefficient of friction. The main objective is to calculate the coefficient of friction, which is defined as the ratio of the friction force to the normal force. The solution involves using Newton's second law to find the net force, and then using that to calculate the friction force.
dreamgirl

Homework Statement

A brick is sliding down a ramp

Anet / acceleration = .5 m/s^2
m= 2 kg
M = the coefficient of friction = unknown or ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just stuck on the last part

well first this is my work so far:

90-delta=
90 - 35 = 55

Fg= (2)(-9.8)
Fg= -19.6

Fg x = Fg cos (-) or -19.6 cos 55 = -11.2
Fg y = Fg sin (-) or -19.6 sin 55 = -16.1

Fn= 16.1
---------------

This is where i get stuck.
I don't know how to find M from here
please help me T-T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What quantity is M supposed to designate?

M = the coefficient of friction
idk if that helps? :(

Well, since the coefficient of friction is defined as M = (Ff/Fn), all you need is to calculate the friction force.

last question how do i calculate the friction force? :[

Well you know the acceleration of the block and its mass, so first you need to apply Newton's second law to find the net force acting on the block. Then using what you know about the net force calculate the friction force. Fnet = Fgx - Ff.

okay i think i got it now

THANK YOU SO MUCH<3333333333

1. What is the force that causes the brick to slide down the ramp?

The force that causes the brick to slide down the ramp is gravity. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, and in this case, it is pulling the brick towards the ground.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the speed of the brick?

The angle of the ramp affects the speed of the brick by changing the amount of resistance the brick experiences. A steeper ramp will have less resistance, allowing the brick to slide down faster, while a shallower ramp will have more resistance, causing the brick to slide down slower.

3. Does the mass of the brick affect its acceleration down the ramp?

Yes, the mass of the brick does affect its acceleration down the ramp. According to Newton's second law of motion, the force of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, a heavier brick will have a greater force of gravity acting on it, resulting in a higher acceleration down the ramp.

4. What other factors can affect the motion of the brick down the ramp?

Other factors that can affect the motion of the brick down the ramp include the surface of the ramp (e.g. smoothness, friction), air resistance, and any external forces acting on the brick (e.g. wind).

5. Is the motion of the brick down the ramp considered a linear or rotational motion?

The motion of the brick down the ramp is considered a linear motion. This is because the brick is moving in a straight line along the ramp, rather than rotating around an axis.