1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bullet is fired from a gun

1. Oct 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.031 kg bullet is fired from a shotgun of mass 3.63kg at 420 m/s. If the collision of the recoiling gun with your shoulder takes 0.013s, what is the average force the gun exerts against your shoulder?

2. Relevant equations
    p = m • v

vf=vi + at
    F=ma
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the velocity of the gun from the momentum equation : 0+0=mbf*vbf-mgf*gf
    which is 3.587 m/s
    Then I used the kinematics equation to solve for the acceleration: 3.587 m/s=0 + a (0.013 s) which is 275.9 m/s^2
    Then I used the force equation to find the force: (275.9 m/s/s) * (3.63 kg) = 1002 N. Is it right? I am worried about the acceleration because the number is high. Thanks for help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2014 #2

NTW

I believe you are right. The problem can be solved taking another way: the variation of momentum mv is equal to the impulse Ft

The variation of momentum of the bullet is 13,02 m*s, and is the same as the variation of momentum of the gun.

Thus, 13,02 = Ft

As it's stated that the time is 0,013 s, if you solve for F, you get F = 13,02/0,013 = 1002 N

4. Oct 18, 2014 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted