A bullet through a pendulum.

In summary: I can use this velocity to find momentum of the pendulum and its bullet, and of course the KE of the bullet, as i know the mass and velocity of the bullet after it leaves the pendulum, now the KE of the bullet is both Ek and Ep, as its height is now zero. In summary, the problem involves a 10g bullet hitting and passing through a 2.20kg pendulum target at 300m/s, causing the pendulum to rise to an angle of 15 degrees. The final speed of the bullet is unknown. The equations used to solve the problem include Ek = 1/2MV^2, Ep = MGH, and momentum = MV. The solution involves using conservation of
zaddyzad said:
And what are some other possibilities of finding the initial velocity of the pendulum. why didnt 300(0.01) = (2.21)V' work? Because for a brief instant that the bullet does hit the block or the slight second its leaving the bullet is in the block, and momentum should be transferred no ?

The bullet and block are never one object moving with the same velocity. Simply occupying the same space does not count :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't fully understand why EK(bullet) = EK(bullet) + EP(bullet) doesn't work. The kinetic energy before and after the collision is constant, and so it the EP that the pendulum has. Why isn't the energy of the system being conserved.

whats the answer you got finally ?

zaddyzad said:
I don't fully understand why EK(bullet) = EK(bullet) + EP(bullet) doesn't work. The kinetic energy before and after the collision is constant, and so it the EP that the pendulum has. Why isn't the energy of the system being conserved.

Energy is only conserved for perfectly elastic collisions. Otherwise, energy is always lost in the collision to various "loss" pathways such as frictional heating, sound, plastic deformation of materials, breaking of atomic bonds(tearing, breaking), and so on.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Energy is only conserved for perfectly inelastic collisions. .

Though kinetic energy is only conserved in perfect elastic collision?

zaddyzad said:
Though kinetic energy is only conserved in perfect elastic collision?

D'oh! My bad. Of course it's ELASTIC collisions only. I fixed the text in the original.