Double Regulating Valves & 2-Way Valves: Why Install for Chilled Water Systems?

In summary, a regulating valve helps maintain a steady flow of cooling water while a two-way valve allows the AHU to send cooling water to two different areas.
Tesla90
In working with chilled water system, why do we install "double regulating valve" and "2 way valve" when connecting the pipe to the AHU ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can figure it out.

What does the pipe to the AHU do when it is working right?
What could it do if something goes wrong?

What does a regulating valve do?
What does a two-way valve do?

i don't know what each does..hence I am asking this question. If you could explain the role of each one, id be grateful

Is this homework or do you have a real system you are analyzing? You could ask the engineer who designed it...

Also, is the two-way valve a control valve? You weren't very specific.

And after a week, how do you not at least know the functions of these types of valves? Did you Google? A big part of being a good engineer is being analytical. Simon was prompting you on how to analyze the system yourself.

Last edited:
I could make a guess about what you are referring to using typical A/C setups, or I could be sure by looking at the schematic for the one you are looking at. OTOH: you are the one right there looking at it so I'm prompting you to carry out the steps.

i don't know what each does...
Lets start with: the pipe to the AHU:

Do you at least know what the letters A.H.U. stands for?
The design calls for a pipe from someplace (where?) to go to the AHU - why is that a good idea?
What do pipes normally do? What could it usefully do in this situation?

I'm not expecting you to be an expert here, just that you should have some general ability to figure stuff out.
Don't be scared to speak up about what you have figured out so far.

Plz, answer the question that I've asked (if u even knw the answer)...and if you don't then please find someone else to bother. I googled the answer but i wanted someone with experience to explain it his way.

No. That's not how it works here because learning is best accomplished by the person doing the learning figuring things out for him/herself. Just handing you the answers will not be good for you. Beyond that, we're closing in on two weeks and for you to expect us to hand you the information after you can't even be bothered to do a simple google or answer a few simple questions is insulting and a waste of our time.

So from here it is up to you: you can learn on our terms or not and I'll close the thread. Let me know.

How can anyone tell you the answer without knowing, at least, what you do understand?

Right now you have told me (post #3) that you don't know what a regulating valve does or what a two-way valve does or what an Air Handling Unit does ... if I take all that at face value, then you probably shouldn't be messing with A/C systems.

Best advise on the information you have provided so far is to hire a professional to do it for you or attend a trade-certified A/C maintenance course.

Aside:
You doubt anyone's ability or qualifications to answer, you should canvass their other posts - which you can get to from their profile.

The interesting thing about providing help free-of-charge is that I get to provide the help you need... which may not always be the same thing as the help you ask for: it's the price of admission.

IRL: I get paid, sometimes quite a lot of money, to answer questions - and the customer, having paid, gets to demand their answers however they like. (And I get to charge accordingly.)

If that's what you'd really prefer, I can always pm you a schedule of my fees.
But it would be cheaper just to hire an A/C tech to come look and/or explain it to you.

1. What is the purpose of installing double regulating valves and 2-way valves in chilled water systems?

Double regulating valves and 2-way valves are used to regulate the flow of chilled water in a system. They help to maintain a consistent and desired temperature throughout the system by controlling the amount of chilled water that enters each zone or area. This also helps to prevent overcooling or undercooling in certain areas.

2. How do double regulating valves and 2-way valves work?

Double regulating valves work by using a damper or disc to regulate the flow of water through the valve. This damper can be manually adjusted to control the flow rate. 2-way valves, on the other hand, work by opening and closing to allow or restrict the flow of water. Both types of valves can be controlled by a thermostat or other control system to maintain the desired temperature.

3. What are the benefits of installing double regulating valves and 2-way valves?

Installing these valves can help to improve the efficiency and performance of a chilled water system. By regulating the flow of water, they can help to reduce energy consumption and operating costs. They also help to ensure that each area of a building is properly cooled, leading to increased comfort for occupants.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using double regulating valves and 2-way valves?

One potential drawback is that these valves require regular maintenance to ensure they are functioning properly. If not maintained, they can become stuck or fail to regulate the flow of water correctly. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of chilled water systems, so it is important to consult with a professional before installation.

5. Are there any alternative options to using double regulating valves and 2-way valves?

Yes, there are other types of valves that can be used in chilled water systems, such as 3-way valves and balancing valves. However, double regulating valves and 2-way valves are specifically designed for regulating the flow of chilled water and are often the preferred choice for this purpose. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best option for your specific system and needs.