Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A calculus I test question.

1. Oct 12, 2004 #1
    I recently had a calculus midterm, but was baffled at how to even start this question. Can anyone point me in the direction to start it? It deals with the maximum/minimum section using differentiation.

What is the maximum area of a rectangle inscribed within a triangle with sides 12, 16 and 20?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2004 #2
  4. Oct 12, 2004 #3
    That is so ironic, I go to Georgia Tech. Everyone here is always bashing UGA about being a school of dumb people. I appreciate it, but I was hoping for a more direct help, such as the set up for the equation. I know A = bh, but what do I take the deritive with respect to?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  5. Oct 12, 2004 #4
    begin by drawing a picture. center the triangle on the xy plane. draw an arbitary inscribed rectangle and label the point where the triangle and rectangle meet as (x,y). you should also have a symmetric point labeled (-x,y). find relationship between y and x (using the length of the 3 sides of the triangle). express the area for the rect in terms of x, differentiate, set to zero, and solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?