Interpreting Thermodynamic Equations for Vapor Deposition Processes

• Thread starter ptown
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a confusion about the symbol for charge being divided by the unit of charge in the equation \DeltaV= q/C. This equation represents the potential difference across a capacitor and q is the charge on the capacitor at a given time. The conversation also mentions the temperature dependence of \DeltaG in an isobaric vapor deposition process and asks for help in calculating \DeltaS.
ptown
hello all,

i think my question has closer ties to mathematics that's why I am posting here.

how do i interpret this [tex]\Delta[/tex]V= q/C ?

"Physics for Scientists and Engineers" (Serway, 6th ed, pg 807).

i've encountered it a few times in physical chemistry and I believe it has to do with differentiation. the example given is the potential difference across a capacitor and q is the charge on the capacitor at some instant during the charging process.

my confusion specifically is that the symbol for charge is divided by the unit of charge.

if someone could explain this or give me a search term so I could find why this is so it will be greatly appreciated.

thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is saying that an incremental increase in voltage across the capacitor has occurred in an increment of time. The time factor is because a steady charging current of one ampere into a capacitor of one Farad will increase the voltage acrcrss the capacitor at one volt per second.

If you carrry out some additional math on that equation you will arrive at the voltage across the capacitor at any time as it is being charged. For a series resistive capacitive ciruit the charging current decreases exponentially (i t's been a couple years since i did this kind of math)

welcome to pf!

hello ptown! welcome to pf! :smile:
ptown said:
my confusion specifically is that the symbol for charge is divided by the unit of charge.

ah, no …

the "C" isn't "coulomb", it's "capacitance", the ratio of how much charge you get for your difference in voltage across a capacitor ! :wink:

thank you both for replying...

the "C" is for "capacitance" cleared it up for me.

i have another question. although the subject is different I think the mathematical idea is similar. Question:

If an isobaric vapor deposition process is known to have the following temperature dependence for [tex]\Delta[/tex]G,

[tex]\Delta[/tex]G(J) = 127.5T - 34.6 (T is in Kelvin)

Calculate [tex]\Delta[/tex]S (J/K)
i have a fairly good understanding of thermodynamics. so, i believe my inability to solve this is due to my not understanding the math; it appears to be a strait-forward question. if its not the math I apologize and will move my thread to another forum.

note: this is a question I got wrong last semester. i.e. I'm not trying to get anyone to do my work for me i just want to understand.

thanks again...

Last edited:

1. What is calculus and how is it used in physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used in physics to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems, such as motion, forces, and energy. It provides a set of powerful tools for solving complex problems and making accurate predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

2. What are the main principles of calculus?

The main principles of calculus are differentiation and integration. Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. These principles are used to solve many problems in physics, such as finding the velocity and acceleration of a moving object or calculating the work done by a force.

3. How does calculus help us understand the laws of motion?

Calculus helps us understand the laws of motion by providing a mathematical framework for describing and analyzing the motion of objects. By using calculus, we can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects at any given time, as well as predict their future behavior. This is crucial for understanding and applying the laws of motion, such as Newton's three laws.

4. Can you give an example of a physics problem that can be solved using calculus?

One example of a physics problem that can be solved using calculus is finding the work done by a variable force. By using integration, we can calculate the area under the curve of a force-displacement graph to determine the work done. This is helpful in understanding the relationship between force and work, and can be applied to various real-life situations, such as lifting a weight or pushing a car.

5. How can I improve my understanding and application of calculus in physics?

To improve your understanding and application of calculus in physics, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the basic principles and formulas. You can also try applying calculus to real-world scenarios and experiments to see how it can be used in practical situations. Seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also be beneficial in mastering this subject.