1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A car coasting up a hill

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is not a homework question per se but rather something I was thinking about while driving the other day.

I am in a car on a hill with constant slope traveling at an initial speed. How can I come up with a set of equations describing both velocity as a function of time and and height as a function of time.

2. Relevant equations
    Ke = (1/2)MV^2
    d(Ke)dt = -m*g*sin(slope)v

3. The attempt at a solution

All attempts to find solutions to this question have been fruitless. Most physics / calc books seem to offer this question in a simplified version: how far up the hill does the car make it. I am far more interested in plotting the curve of speed as a function of time.

Based on my understanding:

As the car travels up the hill, kinetic energy (Ke) is converted to potential energy: Ke = Pe. Potential energy = mgh. The kink seems to be that the change in potential energy is not the same. At the start, speed is the greatest, thus the change in potential energy is greatest ( = mg(sin(slope)*v). However as the car climbs the hill, its speed changes, thus the rate at which its speed changes, changes.

so far:
    Initial conditions:
    Keo = (.5)*mvo2.
    dKe/dt = -mgsin(∅)vo

how can I relate these to t, take a derivative of the first equation and set it equal to the 2nd?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your dKe/dt notion is not needed. -mgsin(∅)=F is, in fact, a force. It's the force slowing your car down. You can convert that into the rate at which you car is slowing down by using Newton's law, F=ma. So a=(-gsin(∅)) is the deceleration rate of your car. And it's a constant since the slope is constant. You really don't need energy at all to solve the problem you've got in mind.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted