A car question

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Physics is Phun said:
in a standard, is it better to gear down while coming to a stop? this would obviously save a bit of wear on the brakes because the engine is doing some of the breaking, but does doing this not also increase the wear on the engine?
These days, it's best practice not to use engine braking routinely. Brake pads cost a few quid, which is a lot less than the cost of the extra wear you're putting on your running gear. Just stick in a sensible gear, use the brakes to brake.
plus wouldn't the high revs increase the gas consumption?
On a modern car, no. Your ECU shuts off the fuel to the engine on the overrun, for that exact purpose.
So what is better, shifting through the gears while stopping, or just putting it in neutral/holding the clutch in ???
Either shift down when the car has already slowed down by the brakes, or just come to a standstill in whatever gear you were in, then stick it in first/neutral. Do NOT just hold the clutch in, - this results in a lack of control. It also wastes petrol!

Obviously on a long or steep downhill, you should use a lower gear anyway, but this is to reduce the risk of brake fade rather than to minimise wear on the brakes.

Use your brakes kids, it's what they're for.

Andy said:
lol, you guys don't still use metal keys do you?
Why? Oh yeah, you fancy Brits gotta use "push button". Seems to me like you're just to lazy to turn a freakin' key. The new corvette has a push button as an option, but other than that, never seen an American without a key. I'd rather have a key, because that little button could go out. Like Toyota's new Avalon, and what Mercedes is doing with this "remote" crap, where that computer has to recognize the remote inside before it lets off the engine lock, or some crap like that, and if that computer fries, your car is useless. Just give me a key for that matter. Too complicated for a simple southerner like myself.

Danger, I know what you mean, my dad had an old seventy-something Caprice and the key was crap. I still happen to have a door key, and it's chipped and you can tell that the chip is old. So small, I can actually bend it.

brewnog:eek:ur truck will not go into 4WD in reverse. It just chugs and jerks, and won't go into gear.

I discovered today that it's bad to go to neutral (even when going very slow, like turning around in the driveway), because the car just binded up (didn't stop, just got REALLY sluggish). That can't be good.

Last edited:
i actually work for mercedes and its surprising how reliable the keyless-go system works. But although every mercedes comes with an ignition they dont use a metal key but rather an infra red recognition system thingy, at least i think it does, all i normally do is change the oil.