What is the speed of a car traveling over a hill?

• Thread starter wallercp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Hill
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a car traveling at a constant speed along a hilly road. The problem requires using equations for centripetal force and gravitational force to solve for the speed of the car. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and suggestions for finding the solution.
wallercp
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with this homework problem. Here it is:

A car is traveling at a constant speed along a hilly road, as the drawing shows. Point A is at the bottom of the dip, while point B is at the top of the hill. The radius of the curvature is 35.0 m at both points. The apparent weight of the car at point A exceeds the apparent weight at point B by a factor of four. What is the speed of the car?

http://www.freewebs.com/cwaller/Car.jpg

Fc=Centripetal force
Fg=Force of gravity
Fn=Normal force
v=Velocity

Fc = mv^2/r
Fg = mg OR GMm/R (M = mass of larger mass, m = mass of smaller mass)

At point A
4Fn-Fg=mv^2/R
4Fn-mg=mv^2/R

At point B
Fg-Fn=mv^2/R
mg-Fn=mv^2/R

Simultaneous Equations...

4Fn-mg=mv^2/R
mg-Fn=mv^2/R
3Fn=2mv^2/35
105Fn=2mv^2
52.5Fn=mv^2

I still have three unknown variables and I'm really stumped. My teacher never said if we need a to get a number answer, I can easily solve this for v in terms of Fn and m. The only other possibility is that at point B the car is going at critical speed, but the wording of the problem doesn't lead me to believe that this is true. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I made some progress with this problem.

Solve the equation at point B for Fn.

mg-Fn=mv^2/R
Fn=mg-(mv^2/r)
Fn=m(g-(v^2/r))

Substitute back into simultaneous equation...

3Fn=2mv^2/r
(3/2)Fn=mv^2/r
(3/2)(m(g-(v^2/r)))=mv^2/r
(3/2)g-((3v^2)/(2R))=mv^2/r
(3/2)g=(v^2/R) + (3v^2/2R)
(3/2)g=(5v^2)/(2R)
14.7=(5v^2)/70
205.8=v^2
v=14.34 m/s

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. You didnt need to go to substitution if you had multiplied the point B equation by 4 before eliminating. Thats why it was wierd

If you divide everything by m, the mass, you get:

A
[tex]4a_n - g = \frac{v^2}{R} [/tex]

B
[tex]g - a_n = \frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]

where [tex] a_n [/tex] is the acceleration caused by the normal force. Get [tex]a_n[/tex] to cancel and you can solve for v. Try that it makes sense in my head anyway! Good Luck. (If I made a mistake, someone please correct me)

(Actually, all u got to do is get Fn to add out in the equations, then m cancels and you can solve for v)

Last edited:

1. What causes a car to slow down while travelling over a hill?

As a car travels over a hill, it is subject to the force of gravity pulling it down towards the ground. This force, combined with the resistance of the air and friction from the road, causes the car to slow down.

2. Can a car run out of gas while travelling over a hill?

Yes, a car can run out of gas while travelling over a hill if the slope of the hill is steep enough to cause the engine to use more fuel to maintain its speed. It is important to monitor the car's fuel level before attempting to drive over a hill.

3. How does the weight of a car affect its performance while travelling over a hill?

The weight of a car can greatly affect its performance while travelling over a hill. A heavier car will require more power and fuel to climb the hill, while a lighter car will have an easier time maintaining its speed.

4. Is it more efficient to accelerate before or after reaching the peak of a hill?

It is generally more efficient to accelerate before reaching the peak of a hill to build up enough momentum to carry the car over the top. Accelerating after reaching the peak will require more power and fuel to overcome the force of gravity and maintain speed.

5. How does the slope of a hill affect a car's speed?

The slope of a hill has a direct impact on a car's speed. A steeper slope will cause the car to slow down more, while a gradual slope will allow the car to maintain its speed more easily.