1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A car travelling over a hill.

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble with this homework problem. Here it is:

A car is traveling at a constant speed along a hilly road, as the drawing shows. Point A is at the bottom of the dip, while point B is at the top of the hill. The radius of the curvature is 35.0 m at both points. The apparent weight of the car at point A exceeds the apparent weight at point B by a factor of four. What is the speed of the car?

Fc=Centripetal force
    Fg=Force of gravity
    Fn=Normal force

Fc = mv^2/r
    Fg = mg OR GMm/R (M = mass of larger mass, m = mass of smaller mass)

At point A

At point B

Simultaneous Equations...

I still have three unknown variables and I'm really stumped. My teacher never said if we need a to get a number answer, I can easily solve this for v in terms of Fn and m. The only other possibility is that at point B the car is going at critical speed, but the wording of the problem doesn't lead me to believe that this is true. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I made some progress with this problem.

Solve the equation at point B for Fn.

Substitute back into simultaneous equation...

(3/2)g=(v^2/R) + (3v^2/2R)
    v=14.34 m/s
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2
    Looks good. You didnt need to go to substitution if you had multiplied the point B equation by 4 before eliminating. Thats why it was wierd
  4. Nov 21, 2006 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you divide everything by m, the mass, you get:

[tex]4a_n - g = \frac{v^2}{R} [/tex]

[tex]g - a_n = \frac{v^2}{R}[/tex]

where [tex] a_n [/tex] is the acceleration caused by the normal force. Get [tex]a_n[/tex] to cancel and you can solve for v. Try that it makes sense in my head anyway! Good Luck. (If I made a mistake, someone please correct me)

(Actually, all u gotta do is get Fn to add out in the equations, then m cancels and you can solve for v)
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?