Are There Non-University Opportunities for Theoretical Physicists?

In summary, an undergraduate looking to work in industry should consider a PhD in physics. There is a chance that there are theoretical physicists working in commercially viable fields, but experimental physicists are more common.
caybo
I want to be a theoretical physicist, and I've been looking online, and so far all I find are jobs at universities. I want to work for an independent research company. Is there such a thing? The reason I am asking is because, I am in college, and I have to write a paper about my career choice, what is my career goal, where do you want to live, and what are 3 potential employers in that area. I chose New Zealand, and
My paper said:
"My goal is to work for either myself, or some eccentric, creative person who wants me to test hypotheses that most people overlook, take for granted, or think will never work."
So now what I have to do is list 3 potential employers in that area. All I can find are universities, and so far I am not directing the classes I take to the teaching category, and I haven't found one research company that does anything like what I mentioned in my paper, let alone any in New Zealand.

Please help.

EDIT:
Forget the paper I wrote, and the New Zealand stuff, I'm looking for a much more Real life answer now.
Basically, I want to research something like theoretical particle physics, but I don't want to work for NASA, or a university, am I out of luck?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
caybo said:
Basically, I want to research something like theoretical particle physics, but I don't want to work for NASA, or a university, am I out of luck?

The short answer... yes. Companies don't hire people to work on particle physics or string theory. Neither of these are likely to make a profit in the forseeable future.

It's possible that there are a few theoretical physicists in industry, but I'd wager that these scientists work in more commercially viable fields (solid state, etc.)

Basic theoretical research belongs almost entirely to academia and government labs. And even then, mostly academia.

Industry does hire theoretical people because they are good at solving problems no one else can solve. However, they solve practical problems using existing theory.

I am no expert but it seems to me that most of the theoretical people do the same whether in academia or in industry. I think people who can develop valid new theories from scratch are quite rare even in academia. If that wasn't true, Physics would be a lot further a long then it is.

I am only an undergraduate so take this with a grain of salt. I intend to go for a PhD in physics and would like to work in industry, at least for awhile. It seems that most industry positions (as one might expect) are better filled by experimental physicists. However, I have seen in various places (including PF) that PhD physicists work in finance as quants. I would guess that these people are generally theoretical physicists by training. Also, I am not sure how common these positions are.

TMFKAN64 said:
The short answer... yes. Companies don't hire people to work on particle physics or string theory. Neither of these are likely to make a profit in the forseeable future.

I think this is the most logical explanation since industry by definition exists to make money.

Based on the title of your thread, I'm guessing that you're shying away from universities because you don't want to teach; is that correct? Many universities hire research faculty who either hardly ever or never have to teach. My graduate faculty advisor is one such professor; the only courses he "teaches" are my research credit hours. One of my coworkers (a theorist) is a research faculty member who teaches one specialty class every couple of years. Five or so of my coworkers are research faculty, but I didn't even know it until I read it on a website. They conduct research only and are paid through a university research center.

wildman said:
Industry does hire theoretical people because they are good at solving problems no one else can solve. However, they solve practical problems using existing theory.

I am no expert but it seems to me that most of the theoretical people do the same whether in academia or in industry. I think people who can develop valid new theories from scratch are quite rare even in academia. If that wasn't true, Physics would be a lot further a long then it is.
Why couldn't it be common. I think it is not quite as rare as you think, but people are just unwilling to fund testing because it is such a gamble to anybody that has money. They probably think it is a gamble, because they understand well enough.

Laura1013 said:
Based on the title of your thread, I'm guessing that you're shying away from universities because you don't want to teach; is that correct? Many universities hire research faculty who either hardly ever or never have to teach. My graduate faculty advisor is one such professor; the only courses he "teaches" are my research credit hours. One of my coworkers (a theorist) is a research faculty member who teaches one specialty class every couple of years. Five or so of my coworkers are research faculty, but I didn't even know it until I read it on a website. They conduct research only and are paid through a university research center.

Right good advice. It's probably what I will have to do. Too bad even universities are ruled by money, and if it isn't something clear cut to the person with the money, then you probably aren't going to get money for your research.

How are we supposed to get new models for ideas to refine our understanding, if anytime a new model is suggested, they say prove it before we give you money to test it. And in order to prove it, you need money and equipment. It seems to me to be a cycle that is ruled by closed minded conventional thinking physicists, not willing to test new ideas.

I understand that nobody is going to fund tests like that, and I understand that universities can't just throw away money, but how are we supposed to better our understanding of physics if we don't?

caybo said:
How are we supposed to get new models for ideas to refine our understanding, if anytime a new model is suggested, they say prove it before we give you money to test it. And in order to prove it, you need money and equipment. It seems to me to be a cycle that is ruled by closed minded conventional thinking physicists, not willing to test new ideas.

Nah, I wouldn't say they are close-minded. It's that they are evaluating the risks is all. They have a limited amount of money, and there's more people with ideas to test than they can spend it on. It's sad that the days of basement physics are gone. :(

1. What other career options are available for someone with a teaching degree?

There are many career paths that someone with a teaching degree can pursue. Some popular options include instructional design, educational consulting, curriculum development, and educational program management.

2. Is it possible to transition from teaching to a completely different field?

Yes, it is definitely possible to transition from teaching to a different field. Many skills gained through teaching, such as communication, organization, and problem-solving, are transferable to other industries. Additionally, there are various resources and programs available to help with the transition process.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications needed for a career outside of teaching?

The specific skills and qualifications needed will depend on the specific career path you choose to pursue. However, having strong communication, time management, and critical thinking skills can be beneficial in most non-teaching careers. It may also be helpful to gain additional experience or education in your desired field.

4. Will my teaching experience be valued in a non-teaching career?

Absolutely! Teaching requires a wide range of skills and abilities that can be valuable in many industries. Your experience with curriculum development, lesson planning, and working with diverse populations can be highly valued by potential employers.

5. Are there any challenges or obstacles I may face when transitioning into a non-teaching career?

There may be some challenges or obstacles you may face, such as adjusting to a new work environment or learning new skills. However, with determination and a willingness to learn, these challenges can be overcome. It may also be helpful to seek out support and advice from others who have successfully made the transition from teaching to a different career.