Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Category-4 hurricane (surprise!) ( again)

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    As of very recently. 150mph sustained winds, pressure down to 901mb (!), the fifth lowest on record (already surpassing Katrina's 902 mb).

Tracking map
    visible satellite

edit: I found an infrared satellite photo!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    Is anyone else astonished at this? A 50mb pressure drop in 5 hours!

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    It's now surpassed Hurricane Gilbert as the lowest pressure ever recorded in an Atlantic hurricane:

884 mb

Gilbert's previous record was 888mb. In the pacific, Tip reached 870mb in 1979.

The winds are now at 175mph, gusts to 215.

Steve Gregory's blog is a few minutes behind times, but at least he's awake (bonus points for him).

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    what, are you all asleep

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

7. Oct 19, 2005 #6
    Oops, didn't see that. Maybe Evo can merge them? :smile: And the new thread can be called, "the hurricane super-thread" or maybe "the super-hurricane thread". Or perhaps this is an appropriate time to create, "The Superhurricane Super-thread" (with apologies to the HEP folks).

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

Man I wonder how much the land would cost there after a few more of those :grumpy:

Dont judge me!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?