1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Category-4 hurricane (surprise!) ( again)

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
    As of very recently. 150mph sustained winds, pressure down to 901mb (!), the fifth lowest on record (already surpassing Katrina's 902 mb).

Tracking map
    visible satellite

edit: I found an infrared satellite photo!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2
    Is anyone else astonished at this? A 50mb pressure drop in 5 hours!

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    It's now surpassed Hurricane Gilbert as the lowest pressure ever recorded in an Atlantic hurricane:

884 mb

Gilbert's previous record was 888mb. In the pacific, Tip reached 870mb in 1979.

The winds are now at 175mph, gusts to 215.

Steve Gregory's blog is a few minutes behind times, but at least he's awake (bonus points for him).

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4
    what, are you all asleep

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

7. Oct 19, 2005 #6
    Oops, didn't see that. Maybe Evo can merge them? :smile: And the new thread can be called, "the hurricane super-thread" or maybe "the super-hurricane thread". Or perhaps this is an appropriate time to create, "The Superhurricane Super-thread" (with apologies to the HEP folks).

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

Man I wonder how much the land would cost there after a few more of those :grumpy:

Dont judge me!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?