Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Cautionary Tale

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    'Twas a dark and dismal eve
    Where my laptop was given to freeze
    But Wally! I cried out as if the beave
    The data ephemerealy did tease

Magnetic heads did clash,
    As repair functions simply thrashed,
    Though I retained my head,
    The drive was quite simply dead.

My laptop's hard drive committed suicide last night, taking with it ALL of my income tax and deductions records for the last year, all my copywriting samples, all of the stories I had written including a half-completed novel written in the last month. I almost cried.

So now I'm in the process of trying to find a place that recover my data at minimal cost. What fun, oh what fun. The moral of course is the obvious: If you have data that will cost you hundreds of hours of work to replace, and cost you a thousand dollars or more if you can't replace it, make some freaking backups.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    It's too late for you, of course, but I came across an interesting backup option recently: JungleDisk, which backs up to Amazon's E3 "computing cloud" service.
  4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    It's good for future reference.

Looks like data recovery is going to cost me somewhere in between $500 and $1500 that I don't have. Sigh.
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Dec 8, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fitting punishment for a PF drive-by. Guess you've learned a lesson now!
  7. Dec 8, 2008 #6
    Shall I flog myself again sir?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?