Have you found a solution for the pain of bone marrow biopsies?

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the pain caused by bone marrow biopsies and potential mechanical solutions to alleviate the pain. Pete mentions that he will have his Ph.D in Biophysics in 10 years, while Jeremy suggests a solution based on Newton's 3rd law but acknowledges the loss of benefits. Another member shares their cousin's invention of a more comfortable needle for the procedure. There is also a mention of potentially installing an access port in the bone for easier access, but concerns about bone overgrowth and current limitations are brought up.
pmb_phy
Are any of you familiar with a bone marrow biopsy? Is so then you're familiar with the enourmous amount of pain it causes.

Have any of you tried to solve this problems utilizing mechanics.

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
I will get back to you in about 10 years

I should have my Ph.D in Biophysics by then.

Jeremy

Well there is a simpel mechanical solution to this probleme it's derived from Newtons 3'rd law and it seas that no action couses no reaction. So if no bone marrow biopsy is preformed it couses no paine. Aldo this solutions does have a small problem, all the benefits of a bone marrow biopsy are lost. :smile:

My cousin was a biomedical engineer in New Jersey, and developed a more comfortable needle over 20 years ago. I don't know how widespread its use is, but it involved a rotating inner needle with a razor-sharp bevelled tip that bored into the bone like a hole-saw rather than punching through. Still hurt like hell, but it was an improvement. I wouldn't have much of a clue about how to approach something like this other than maybe Teflon-coating the parts or adding an electrical discharge to block local transmission of pain impulses.

Last edited:
Dang Pete, you going through that again? Will see what I can find.

Chronos' post leads me to suspect that this is an on-going experience for you. My sympathies. If you have to undergo it regularly, I'd think that it should be possible to install an access port in the bone itself that could be tapped into instead of having to make new holes every time. How to prevent the bone from over-growing it could be a nasty problem. I can't help thinking that there must be some insurmountable obstacles to it, though, or they'd already be doing it.

1. What is "A Challenge for you all"?

"A Challenge for you all" is a scientific experiment designed to test various hypotheses and theories.

2. How does "A Challenge for you all" work?

"A Challenge for you all" involves setting up controlled conditions and collecting data to analyze and draw conclusions from.

3. Who can participate in "A Challenge for you all"?

Anyone with a background in science and the necessary resources can participate in "A Challenge for you all".

4. What are the expected outcomes of "A Challenge for you all"?

The expected outcomes of "A Challenge for you all" are to gain a better understanding of a specific topic or phenomenon being studied.

5. How can I get involved in "A Challenge for you all"?

You can get involved in "A Challenge for you all" by contacting the team conducting the experiment and expressing your interest in participating or collaborating.