1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A challenging Integral

1. May 22, 2006 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

Put

[tex]I_n(x)=\int \frac{n!dx}{x(x+1)\cdots (x+n)}[/tex]​

The desired result is an evaluation of the sum

[tex]S_n(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^{k}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) (x+k)\log (x+k)[/tex]​

and so it is important that the evaluation of [tex]I_n(x)[/tex] be not by means of partial fraction decomposition, for this is already of note that [tex]S_n(x)[/tex] may be evaluated, that is to say: it is known to me that

[tex]\int\frac{n!dx}{x(x+1)\cdots (x+n)}=\int\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{x+k}dx = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) (-1)^{k}\log (x+k)+C[/tex]​

whence integrating once again will produce an evaluation for [tex]S_n(x)[/tex].

I was working on developing a recurrence relation for [tex]I_n(x)[/tex] that I may solve it via generating functions; here of note is that it is also known to me that

[tex]I_{n+1}(x)=I_n(x)-I_n(x+1)[/tex]

yet this is not useful to that end. What is desired is a non-homogeneous recurrence. Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does S relate to I?

Is there any reason why you can't use the partial fraction decomposition, and then rearrage it into the form you desire?

4. May 22, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

I made a mistake in my tex, now the three dots show up.

5. May 22, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

To answer your question,

[tex]\int I_n(x)dx = S_n(x) +g(x)[/tex]

where I suspect that g(x) is rather tivial.

EDIT: in fact, g(x)=0.

6. May 22, 2006 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't really mean the integral of I_n(x), right? You mean I_n(x) = S_n(x), correct?

EDIT: Actually, I am a bit confused by the notation.I is an integral over x so why is it a function of x? Fo you mean [itex] I_n(x) = \int_0^x \, f(x') [/itex] or something to that effect?

7. May 22, 2006 #6

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't thought this one through completely but have you heard of Feynman's trick for combining propagators in quantum field theory. It *might* prove useful. It is the identity

[tex] { 1 \over A_1 A_2 \ldots A_n} = \int_0^1 dy_1 \ldots dy_n \, \delta (\sum_{i=1}^n y_i -1) \, { (n-1)! \over (y_1 A_1 + y_2 A_2 + \ldots y_n A_n)^n } [/tex]

I just have a *gut* feeling that this might do the trick but I haven't worked out anything. It's 1 Am here and I am about to go to bed.

Patrick

8. May 23, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

Because it is an indefinite integral, it is still a function of x after the integration is carried out, as in:[tex]\int \cos xdx=\sin x +C[/tex]

9. May 23, 2006 #8

benorin

Homework Helper

And no, I do mean to say that [tex]\int I_n(x)dx = S_n(x) +C[/tex] since

[tex]I_n(x)=\int\frac{n!dx}{x(x+1)\cdots (x+n)}=\int\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\ k\end{array}\right) \frac{(-1)^k}{x+k}dx = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}\log (x+k)+C_1[/tex]

we have

[tex]\int I_n(x)dx=\int\int\frac{n!dxdx}{x(x+1)\cdots (x+n)}= \int\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}\log (x+k) dx +\int C_1 dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}\int\log (x+k) dx+C_1x = \sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}\left[ (x+k)\log (x+k)-(x+k)\right] +C_1x+C_2[/tex]
    [tex]=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}(x+k)\log (x+k)-\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}(x+k)+C_1x+C_2+h_n(x)=S_n(x)+C[/tex]

where a formula from the calculus of finite differences has been used to determine that

[tex]h_n(x)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array }\right) (-1)^{k}(x+k)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}x,& \mbox{ if } n=0\\-1, & \mbox{ if } n=1\\0, & \mbox{ if } n\geq 1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]​

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  10. May 23, 2006 #9

benorin

Homework Helper

An interesting development

An interesting development: recall that

[tex]\log x = \int_{0}^{\infty}\left( e^{-t}-e^{-xt}\right)\frac{dt}{t}[/tex]​

so that (dropping the "+C") we have

[tex]I_n(x+1)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) (-1)^{k}\log (x+k+1)=\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) (-1)^{k}\int_{0}^{\infty}\left( e^{-t}-e^{-(x+k+1)t}\right)\frac{dt}{t} [/tex]
    [tex]= \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t}\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) (-1)^{k}\left( 1-e^{-(x+k)t}\right)\frac{dt}{t}=\int_{0}^{\infty}\left[e^{-t}\delta_{n,0}- e^{-t(x+1)}\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\begin{array}{c}n\\k\end{array}\right) \left(-e^{-t}\right) ^{k}\right] \frac{dt}{t}[/tex]
    [tex]=\int_{0}^{\infty}\left[e^{-t}\delta_{n,0}- e^{-t(x+1)}\left(1-e^{-t}\right) ^{n}\right] \frac{dt}{t}[/tex]​

where [tex]\delta_{n,0} = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if }
    n=0\\0, & \mbox{ if } n\neq 0\end{array}\right.[/tex] is the discete delta function, hence the evaluation

[tex]I_n(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\int_{0}^{\infty}\left(e^{-t}- e^{-xt}\right) \frac{dt}{t}=\log x ,&\mbox{ if }
    n=0\\ -\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-tx}\left(1-e^{-t}\right) ^{n}\frac{dt}{t}, & \mbox{ if } n\neq 0\end{array}\right.[/tex]​

Last edited: May 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?