Challenging Integral Homework: Attempting x=tanA/b Substitution

In summary: I think he means to evaluate the integral using contour integrals and complex analysis's methods (Cauchy's integral theorem).Yes, this is what I meant.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
The question is in Attempt at a solution.
Relevant Equations
x=tanA/b
Homework Statement: The question is in Attempt at a solution.
Homework Equations: x=tanA/b

20190920_084917.png

I tried by substituting x=tanA/b but it did'nt helped.Now I cannot think of any other thing to do.Help.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
we can write the integrand as $$\frac{\ln(a^2(\frac{1}{a^2}+x^2))}{b^2(\frac{1}{b^2}+x^2)}=\frac{2\ln a}{b^2}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{b^2}+x^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}\frac{\ln(\frac{1}{a^2}+x^2)}{\frac{1}{b^2}+x^2}$$ and now you got to calculate two integrals, the first (left) integral is obvious and straightforward, for the second (right) integral maybe the substitution ##y=x^2## helps.

Delta2 said:
we can write the integrand as $$\frac{\ln(a^2(\frac{1}{a^2}+x^2))}{b^2(\frac{1}{b^2}+x^2)}=\frac{2\ln a}{b^2}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{b^2}+x^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}\frac{\ln(\frac{1}{a^2}+x^2)}{\frac{1}{b^2}+x^2}$$ and now you got to calculate two integrals, the first (left) integral is obvious and straightforward, for the second (right) integral maybe the substitution ##y=x^2## helps.
thanks for telling but i cannot simplify the second term.##y=x^2## didn't helped me a lot.

Yes sorry, originally I thought that it can be simplified to ##\frac{\ln(\alpha+y)}{\beta+y}## and the integral of that doesn't converge but now I see I was wrong.

Delta2 said:
Yes sorry, originally I thought that it can be simplified to ##\frac{\ln(\alpha+y)}{\beta+y}## and the integral of that doesn't converge but now I see I was wrong.
Ok no problem.Can you suggest any other method?

Last edited:
WolframAlpha at least indicates that there is no easy closed form. In fact the impression it produces is even hard to differentiate for a cross check. But most important, it looks as if the integral doesn't converge since there is a term ##\log(1+a^2x^2)## which doesn't vanish.

fresh_42 said:
WolframAlpha at least indicates that there is no easy closed form. In fact the impression it produces is even hard to differentiate for a cross check. But most important, it looks as if the integral doesn't converge since there is a term ##\log(1+a^2x^2)## which doesn't vanish.
But the question is printed in a book and may not be incorrect.So Can you think of any method?

Physics lover said:
But the question is printed in a book and may not be incorrect.So Can you think of any method?
The usual tricks are: get rid of what disturbs and look out for symmetries.
So basically we have an integrand ##f \cdot f'## which is the derivative of ##f^2##. However, this would be the case if ##a=b##, hence this asymmetry is what prevents us from solving it, i.e. we must get rid of the asymmetry first. We can shift it into the translation term: ##\log (1+a^2x^2) \sim \log (c^2+x^2)## and ##1+b^2x^2\sim d^2+x^2##. Since the translation part is irrelevant for the ##f\cdot f'## form, this could work. But I haven't tried.

I have only found a formula for ##\displaystyle{\int_0^\infty} \dfrac{\log x}{(x+a)(x+b)}dx##.

The original integral probably converges because, for large ##x##, ##1/\left( 1 + b^2 x^2 \right)## kills ##\ln \left( 1 + b^2 x^2 \right)##.

I tried ##a=2## and ##b=3##, and Maple gives a vey simple answer.

Note that since the integrand is even, ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} = 2 \int^\infty_0##. Try doing ##\int^\infty_{-\infty}## by closing the contour in the complex plane.

George Jones said:
The original integral probably converges because, for large ##x##, ##1/\left( 1 + b^2 x^2 \right)## kills ##\ln \left( 1 + b^2 x^2 \right)##.

I tried ##a=2## and ##b=3##, and Maple gives a vey simple answer.

Note that since the integrand is even, ##\int^\infty_{-\infty} = 2 \int^\infty_0##. Try doing ##\int^\infty_{-\infty}## by closing the contour in the complex plane.
sorry but I didn't understood what you said.Can you be more precise.

Physics lover said:
I think he means to evaluate the integral using contour integrals and complex analysis's methods (Cauchy's integral theorem). Is this exercise from a book for real analysis or complex analysis?

Physics lover said:

I was purposely being imprecise in order to give you something to mull over. :smile:

Delta2 said:
I think he means to evaluate the integral using contour integrals and complex analysis's methods (Cauchy's integral theorem).

Yes, this is what I meant.

Complex contour integration, the residue theorem and often Jordan's Lemma sometimes can be used to evaluate real definite integrals. If you have not seen this stuff, then, as Emily Litella (aka Gilda Radner) says, "Never mind." :oldbiggrin:

Delta2 said:
Is this exercise from a book for real analysis or complex analysis?

Yes, @Physics lover , some context might help. What are the titles of the book, chapter, and section in which this problem appears?

When I tell Maple (a symbolic math pogramme) that ##b>a>0##, Maple gives a horribly complicated answer for the integral. When I include Maple's "simplify" command, Maple spits out
$$\frac{\pi}{b} \left[ \ln\left(a+b\right) - \ln\left(b\right) \right].$$

Likes SammyS and Delta2
Wolframalpha gives the result as $$\frac{\pi}{2|b|}(\ln{(1-\frac{a^2}{b^2})}+2\tanh^{-1}(\frac{|a|}{|b|}))$$
which I think simplifies to the same as maple if ##b>a>0## hence ##2\tanh^{-1}(\frac{|a|}{|b|})=\ln{\frac{b+a}{b-a}}##

Last edited:
Likes George Jones
Delta2 said:
Wolframalpha gives the result as $$\frac{\pi}{2|b|}(\ln{(1-\frac{a^2}{b^2})}+2\tanh^{-1}(\frac{|a|}{|b|}))$$
It is often useful to be able to transform back and forth between inverse hyperbolic trig functions and ##\ln##.

For example, if ##y = \tanh^{-1}x##, then
$$x = \tanh y = \frac{e^y - e^{-y}}{e^y + e^{-y}}$$

Now, multiply top and bottom by ##e^y##, solve for ##e^{2y}##, and take the ##\ln## of both sides. I think that this trransforms the WolphramAlpham result into the Maple result.

George Jones said:
I was purposely being imprecise in order to give you something to mull over. :smile:
Yes, this is what I meant.

Complex contour integration, the residue theorem and often Jordan's Lemma sometimes can be used to evaluate real definite integrals. If you have not seen this stuff, then, as Emily Litella (aka Gilda Radner) says, "Never mind." :oldbiggrin:
Yes, @Physics lover , some context might help. What are the titles of the book, chapter, and section in which this problem appears?
The problem is from a Aakash Problem Package.From Section-H.

When I tell Maple (a symbolic math pogramme) that ##b>a>0##, Maple gives a horribly complicated answer for the integral. When I include Maple's "simplify" command, Maple spits out
$$\frac{\pi}{b} \left[ \ln\left(a+b\right) - \ln\left(b\right) \right].$$
[/QUOTE]Surprisingly,This is the right answer.But did you arrive at that.Please explain.

1. What is the purpose of using the x=tanA/b substitution in challenging integral homework?

The x=tanA/b substitution is often used to simplify and solve integrals that contain trigonometric functions. It allows us to transform the integral into a form that is easier to solve using basic integration techniques.

2. How do I determine when to use the x=tanA/b substitution?

You should use this substitution when the integral you are trying to solve involves a square root of a quadratic expression containing trigonometric functions, such as sin^2(x) or cos^2(x).

3. What are the steps for solving an integral using the x=tanA/b substitution?

The steps for solving an integral using this substitution are as follows:
1. Identify the integral and determine if it can be simplified using this substitution.
2. Let x=tanA/b and simplify the integral using trigonometric identities.
3. Convert the integral back to x using the inverse substitution, x=tanA/b.
4. Evaluate the integral using basic integration techniques.
5. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final answer.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the x=tanA/b substitution?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert the integral back to the original variable using the inverse substitution. It is also important to carefully simplify the integral using trigonometric identities before converting back to x. Additionally, it is important to double-check the final answer by substituting in values for x to ensure that it satisfies the original integral.

5. Can the x=tanA/b substitution be used for all integrals containing trigonometric functions?

No, this substitution is only applicable for integrals that involve a square root of a quadratic expression containing trigonometric functions. For other types of integrals, different substitution techniques may need to be used.