Solving a Challenging Issue Involving Random Variables

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two sets of random variables arranged in ascending order, characterized by central Chi-square distributions. A new random variable is formed from the two sets, and the easiest way to find its moment generating function is through a 2D integral using the distribution formulas for order statistics.
EngWiPy
Hello,

Suppose that we have two sets of random variables, which are arranged in an ascending order as:

[tex]\gamma_A^{(1)}\leq\gamma_A^{(2)}\leq\cdots\leq\gamma_A^{(m_A)}\leq\cdots\leq\gamma_A^{(M_A)}[/tex]

and

[tex]\gamma_B^{(1)}\leq\gamma_B^{(2)}\leq\cdots\leq\gamma_B^{(m_B)}\leq\cdots\leq\gamma_B^{(M_B)}[/tex]

where all random variables in the same set are independent and identically distributed random variables, which are characterized as central Chi-square with [tex]2\,N_i[/tex] degrees of freedom, i.e.:

[tex]f_{\gamma_i}(\gamma)=\frac{\gamma^{N_i-1}}{\overline{\gamma}_i^{N_i}(N_i-1)!}\text{e}^{-\gamma/\overline{\gamma_i}}[/tex]

for [tex]i\in\{A,\,B\}[/tex]. Now suupose that a new random variable is formed as following:

[tex]\gamma_{\text{eq}}=\frac{\gamma_A^{(m_A)}\,\gamma_B^{(m_B)}}{\gamma_A^{(m_A)}+\gamma_B^{(m_B)}+1}[/tex]

What is the easiest way to find the moment generating function [tex]\mathcal{M}_{\gamma_{\text{eq}}}(s)= E_{\gamma_{\text{eq}}}\left[\text{e}^{s\,\gamma}\right][/tex]??

Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
where all random variables in the same set are independent and identically distributed random variables

Assuming you mean they are the order statistics of set of independent random variables - the Wikipedia article has some distribution formulas. From there the mgf could be expressed as a 2D integral.

1. What are random variables?

Random variables are numerical values that can take on different values randomly, with each possible value having a certain probability of occurring. They are typically used to represent uncertain or random events in a statistical or mathematical model.

2. How do you solve a challenging issue involving random variables?

The first step in solving a challenging issue involving random variables is to clearly define the problem and identify the specific random variables involved. Then, you can use mathematical techniques and statistical tools such as probability distributions, expected values, and hypothesis testing to analyze and solve the problem.

3. What are some common challenges when working with random variables?

Some common challenges when working with random variables include understanding and applying different probability distributions, dealing with complex and interrelated variables, and accurately estimating probabilities based on limited data.

4. How can you assess the validity and accuracy of a solution involving random variables?

One way to assess the validity and accuracy of a solution involving random variables is to use statistical measures such as confidence intervals and p-values to evaluate the reliability and significance of the results. Additionally, conducting sensitivity analyses and comparing the solution to real-world data can help validate the solution.

5. Can random variables be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, random variables are commonly used in various fields to solve real-world problems. They can be applied in areas such as finance, engineering, medicine, and social sciences to model and analyze uncertain events and make informed decisions. However, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of using random variables in a specific problem before applying them.