Finding the Optimal Leash Length for a Spherical Grazing Area

• Thread starter JCienfuegos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary: If it is not okay for the radius to be simply 1, then the answer is wrong.In summary, the answer is 1/10 longer than the radius of the sphere.
JCienfuegos
Hello everyone
This problem is similar to a problem that appeared sometime back on this website called "last geometry challenge, very difficult!"
The problem was this: There is a circular field of grass of radius r surrounded by a fence. If aa sheep is tethered to the fence, how long should its leash be so that it eats only 1/2 of the grass in the circle.
I propose making this into a 3D problem. Make the circle of grass a sphere of jelly surrounded by a spherical metal cage. How long should the leash be if an animal is tethered to the surrounding spherical metal cage so that it eats only 1/2 of the volume of jelly.
Ill post the answer in a couple of days if anyone is interested.
Julian

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the volune of a sphere is
V = (4 pi ) )r^44 / 3

Then the answer is somewhere between r and 2r.
( a range is an answer ) :)

I tried using this trick in high school. The teacher said what is sin342 or something like that and I put "something between -1 and 1". I got that question wrong.

I now get the leash to be 1/10 longer than the radius of the sphere.
Is that correct?

Well, that is not the answer i got. Now that think about it, my solution may be wrong, but I cannot think why.
What I did was this:
I imagined the sphere to be resting onto of the x axis, directly on top of the origin. I then tied the leash to the origin. I found the equation of the sphere would be the circle x^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2 rotated around the y axis. The volume swept out by the leash would be the circle x^2 + y^2 = l^2. I revolved the region bounded by these two curves around the y-axis and set it equal to 1/2 * 4/3 * pi r^3. I assumed the radius to equal 1, since I figured the units of its length wouldn't change the answer.
Then I set up some integrals, and solved. I am left with 8l^3-3l^4-8=0, which I solved numerically and I got 1.2285.
The trouble is, what is the radius isn't one? Then the ratio 1:1.2285 isn't the same. If it is okay for the radius to be simply 1, then the answer is good.

1. What is a challenging volume problem?

A challenging volume problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume of a complex or irregular shape. It often requires advanced mathematical skills and critical thinking to solve.

2. How do you approach solving a challenging volume problem?

To solve a challenging volume problem, you should first break down the shape into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, use formulas and equations to find the volume of each part and add them together to get the total volume.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve challenging volume problems?

Some common techniques used to solve challenging volume problems include using basic geometric formulas, such as the volume of a cylinder or cone, and using calculus to find the volume of irregular shapes.

4. Can challenging volume problems be solved without using complex formulas or equations?

It is possible to solve some challenging volume problems without using complex formulas or equations. This often requires a creative approach and thinking outside the box to find a solution.

5. How can solving challenging volume problems be useful in real-world applications?

Solving challenging volume problems can be useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It allows scientists and engineers to accurately calculate the volume of complex objects, which is essential for designing and building structures and creating mathematical models.