1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A change of variable

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    I am trying to follow a proof of
    [tex] \int_{0}^{+\infty}e^{-x^2}dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} [/tex] but the first impasse I find is that, "with the change of variable" [tex]\sqrt{n}x = y [/tex] they justify this equality:
    [tex] {\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}\int_{0}^{+\infty}e^{-y^2}dy = \int_{0}^{+\infty}e^{-nx^2}dx [/tex].

Maybe you can help me to see how they did it? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\int_{0}^{+\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
    is just the half of
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

The second is usually done with Fubini's theorem and polar substitution.

4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    Er... but the book from where I take the problem only deals with functions of one real variable... they don't use Fubini...

5. Sep 28, 2005 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

[tex]\sqrt{n}x = y[/tex], so, you have: [tex]d(\sqrt{n}x) = \sqrt{n}dx = dy[/tex]
    Then, you have:
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \int_{0} ^ {+ \infty} e ^ {-y^2} dy = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \int_{0} ^ {+\infty} e ^ {-nx ^ 2} (\sqrt{n} dx)[/tex]
    [tex]= \sqrt{n} \times \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \int_{0} ^ {+\infty} e ^ {-nx ^ 2} dx = \int_{0} ^ {+\infty} e ^ {-nx ^ 2} dx[/tex].
    Can you get it now?
    Viet Dao,

6. Sep 28, 2005 #5
    Yes, Viet Dao. Really thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?