Does the Finite Propagation Speed of Electrostatic Forces Impact Energy in a Closed System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the propagation speed of information and electrostatic forces between charges. The scenario of two identical positive charges on the moon and Earth is used to illustrate the effects of this propagation delay. The question at hand is why the energy required to bring the charges together is less than the energy released when they are pushed apart, despite the finite speed of propagation. A possible explanation is that accelerating the charges simultaneously may result in less electromagnetic radiation compared to moving them individually.
Smacal1072
Hi All,

Again, thanks to all the Physics Forums gurus.

I posted a question about a year ago concerning the finite propagation speed of information and electrostatic forces between charges, which seemed confusing. I still was hoping to resolve it, so I simplified it a bit :).

Imagine a positive charge on the moon, and an identical positive charge on earth. They faintly repel one another. Also imagine that we have a closed system (maybe a giant Dyson sphere around the system :D), so that all possible radiation from our experiment is accounted for.

Since light takes about a second to travel between the Earth and the moon, changing the location of the charge on the Earth affects the charge on the moon via it's E field a second later, and vice-versa.

Suppose you move the charges slightly closer toward each other, simultaneously, and bring them to rest, in under a second. Because the E field takes a second to propagate, each charge sees that it's partner has not moved during this transition.

Then, suppose you repeat this action to bring the charges back to their initial position. Again, each charge experiences that it's partner has not moved during this transition.

My question is: At first glance, the energy required to push the charges together is less that what is released when they are pushed apart. This is due to the finite speed of propagation of the E field. What is the missing fact to explain this? (Note in my previous post, I did apply the Liénard–Wiechert potential to obtain the relativistic field and force on each charge, but still came up short.)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not calculate it, just a guess: you accelerate charges, this will emit electromagnetic radiation. And if you do this both on moon and Earth at the same time, you might see less radiation than you get by moving them one by one.

1. What exactly is a charge on the moon?

A charge on the moon refers to an electrical charge or electric potential difference present on the surface of the moon. This can be caused by various factors such as solar wind, cosmic rays, and interactions with the Earth's magnetic field.

2. How is a charge on the moon measured?

A charge on the moon can be measured using specialized instruments such as electrostatic analyzers or magnetometers. These instruments can detect changes in electrical and magnetic fields, allowing scientists to measure the presence and strength of a charge on the moon.

3. What are the potential effects of a charge on the moon?

A charge on the moon can have various effects, such as altering the behavior of lunar dust particles, influencing the moon's interaction with the Earth's magnetic field, and affecting the moon's plasma environment. It may also have implications for future lunar exploration and establishing human settlements on the moon.

4. How does a charge on the moon impact the lunar environment?

A charge on the moon can affect the lunar environment in several ways. It can cause changes in the surface charge of the moon, influence the movement of charged particles in the moon's plasma environment, and alter the properties of the lunar regolith (soil). These effects can have significant implications for the moon's geology, atmosphere, and potential for supporting life.

5. Is a charge on the moon a natural occurrence or can it be artificially induced?

A charge on the moon is a natural occurrence, but it can also be artificially induced. For example, the Apollo astronauts' activities on the moon, such as driving the lunar rovers and collecting samples, caused disturbances in the lunar surface, which resulted in localized charging. However, human activities on the moon are not significant enough to induce a large-scale charge on the entire moon's surface.