1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A charged wire exerts force on a proton.

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electrically charged wire on the z axis exerts a force on a proton, which moves on the x axis. The initial conditions for the proton position and velocity are:
    x(0) = x0 and v(0) = 0.

The force on the proton is Fx(x) = C /x where C = 3.2×10−15 Nm.

(A) Determine the potential energy function, U(x). Choose x0 to be the reference point; i.e., U(x0) = 0.
    (B) Calculate the velocity v at the time when the proton passes the point x = 2 x0.
    (C) Calculate the time t when the proton passes the point x = 2 x0. Assume x0 = 1 m.

2. Relevant equations
    E= (1/2)m*v^2 + U(x)
    U(x)= -∫F(x)dx
    dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(E-U(x))]

3. The attempt at a solution
    In part A I integrated F(x) and got U(x)= -C*ln(x)
    In part B I used dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))]
    In part C I'm trying to integrate dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))] but I really have no idea on what to do. I looked up the integral of 1/√(lnx) on wolframalpha and it said that it integrates out to some imaginary error function? Is there some other way I could find t or x(t)?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted