Calculating Moles of Water in BaCl2*H2O Hydrate - Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter crayzlilgurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the problem involves finding the number of moles of water in a hydrate of BaCL2*H2O with a given mass of 5g, where 0.7g of water was lost and the anhydrous compound has a mass of 4.3g. The solution involves knowing that water is 1/18 moles per gram and using the given information to solve for the number of moles of water.
crayzlilgurl
[SOLVED] A chem problem...help please

I don't know how to answer this question. I have to find the number of moles of water in the hydrate BaCL2*H2O. SOwwie i don't now how to make the 2 smaller. The mass of the hydrate is 5g, the Mass of lost
water is .7 grams and the anhydrous compound is 4.3 grams. Please help me. Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by crayzlilgurl
I don't know how to answer this question. I have to find the number of moles of water in the hydrate BaCL2*H2O. SOwwie i don't now how to make the 2 smaller. The mass of the hydrate is 5g, the Mass of lost
water is .7 grams and the anhydrous compound is 4.3 grams. Please help me. Thanks

It's pretty easy. You know that there was 0.7 grams of water originally. You, should, also know that water is 1/18 moles per gram. I can't make it any easier for you than that without telling you the answer, and that wouldn't do you any good.

thanks...i noe wut to do it just all the numbers i was given confused the heck outta me...

i don't kow eitehr

1. How do you calculate the moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate?

To calculate the moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate, you must first determine the molar mass of the compound. This can be done by adding the molar mass of BaCl2 (137.33 g/mol) and H2O (18.02 g/mol). Then, divide the mass of water (found by subtracting the mass of the anhydrous compound from the mass of the hydrate) by the molar mass of water. This will give you the moles of water in the compound.

2. What is the significance of calculating moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate?

Calculating moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate is important because it allows you to accurately determine the amount of water present in the compound. This information can be useful in various scientific experiments and processes, such as determining the purity of a sample or calculating the amount of reactants needed in a chemical reaction.

3. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for calculating moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate?

Sure! Here are the steps:
1. Determine the molar mass of BaCl2*H2O by adding the molar masses of BaCl2 and H2O.
2. Weigh the sample of BaCl2*H2O hydrate on a scale and record the mass.
3. Heat the sample in a crucible to remove all of the water, leaving behind the anhydrous compound.
4. Weigh the anhydrous compound and record the mass.
5. Calculate the mass of water lost by subtracting the mass of the anhydrous compound from the original mass of the hydrate.
6. Divide the mass of water lost by the molar mass of water to get the moles of water in the compound.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to watch out for. One is using the incorrect molar mass for BaCl2*H2O, as it is a hydrate and not just a simple compound. Another mistake is not heating the sample for long enough, which can result in moisture still being present in the anhydrous compound. Finally, make sure to use the correct units (grams and moles) in your calculations.

5. How is the calculation of moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate useful in real-world applications?

The calculation of moles of water in BaCl2*H2O hydrate is useful in many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in the manufacturing of products such as ceramics, detergents, and fertilizers. It is also important in analytical chemistry, where the purity of a sample can be determined by comparing the calculated moles of water to the expected moles based on the compound's formula. Additionally, this calculation is essential in understanding the stoichiometry of chemical reactions and determining the appropriate amounts of reactants needed.