1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A chemistry problem

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As + HNO3 (consentrated) -> H3AsNO4 + NO2 + H2O

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing the electron equation:

As (0) - 1 electron = As (1+) | 1
    N (5+) + 1 electron = N (4+) | 1

I dont know if this is right. (The last 2 numbers are supposed to represent the numbers which should go in the equation before those elements.)
    Think the oxydation level is supposed to change, but the sides dont balance out. What am I doing wrong? I just cant get this out of my head anymore.

Thanks in advance,
    fawk3s

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is formula of your As containing product? Seems to me something is wrong with the way you wrote it in the equation. What is ON of As after oxidation?

--

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    Im not sure actually. The equation was given like that and Im not even sure what the oxydation levels are supposed to be.
    My task was only to balance the sides.

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5
    Yeah, that would explain why I cant figure it out still after trying for an hour or so.

And yes, I know how to calculate the oxidation numbers, but if the oxidaton number of N didnt change during the reaction, then As has to be 0. And that would be odd.

Anyways, thanks for the help !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook