A chemistry question: H2O and a catalyst?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction of H2O2 with catalase to produce water and oxygen. The possibility of achieving a reaction with a catalyst to produce protons and oxygen anions is also mentioned, with examples of potential catalysts such as the oxygen evolving complex from photosystem II and various proteins. The stability of H2O2 and the difficulty of keeping it in its original form is also mentioned. Overall, the conversation explores the potential applications and challenges of using H2O2 as a reactant.
Entropia
somebody emailed me the following:

"I know that H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) can be reacted
with the enzyme catalase to produce H20 and O2 (water
and oxygen). H2O2 is found in blood and cells which is
why it foams when you put it on a cut.

But what I want to know, is can I achieve this:

H2O + catalyst -> 2H+ & 2O-

do you know of a catalyst or if it is possible?
I heard it is."

Does anybody have a clue?

Biology news on Phys.org
You'll want to first nitpick your correspondent's statement by reminding him or her that there is catalase in the cells, and when you apply hydrogen peroxide to tissue you get that foaming.

As far as getting protons and oxygen anions from water catalytically, probably the closest thing is the oxygen evolving complex from photosystem II, where water is cleaved to give off dioxygen (which we aerobes breathe), protons (which set up a proton gradient across a membrane), and electrons for use in physiological redox reactions. There is a whole boatload of interest in developing model systems, both for understanding the biological processes as well as for chemical applications. There is also a whole bunch of people investigating various proteins which may have interesting applications in chemistry and environmental science (nitrogenase, hydrogenases, etc.)

Beyond that, am not totally sure, although would not be surprised to find out that you get some protons and oxygen anions if you electrolyze water long enough.

IIRC, H2O2 is not very stable. It will degrade to H2O + O2 on its own in the presence of most things. It's a trick to keep it as H2O2.

Not sure about a product of 2H+ & 2O-
But I suspec that would not last long either in an ionic state without special conditions.

1. What is the role of a catalyst in a chemical reaction involving H2O?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. In the case of H2O, a catalyst can help break apart the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen atoms, allowing them to react more easily with other substances.

2. How does a catalyst affect the rate of a chemical reaction involving H2O?

A catalyst can increase the rate of a chemical reaction by providing an alternative reaction pathway with a lower activation energy. This allows the reaction to occur more quickly, resulting in a faster rate.

3. Can any substance be used as a catalyst for H2O?

No, not all substances can act as catalysts for H2O. A substance must have specific chemical properties, such as a high surface area and the ability to interact with the reactants, in order to effectively catalyze a reaction involving H2O.

4. What happens to the catalyst after the reaction involving H2O is complete?

The catalyst remains unchanged and can be used again in future reactions. It is not consumed or altered in any way during the reaction process.

5. How does the presence of a catalyst affect the equilibrium of a reaction involving H2O?

A catalyst does not affect the equilibrium of a reaction involving H2O. It only speeds up the rate at which the reaction reaches equilibrium, but does not shift the position of the equilibrium itself.