A circle of radius R is centered at the origin.

In summary, we discussed a circle with a radius R centered at the origin and a positive y-intercept at (0, R). As the circle is shifted by n on the x-axis, the y-intercept decreases. We wondered if we could determine the radius given a certain proportion between the x-shift and the decrease in y-intercept. We then considered the equation x^2 + y^2 = (x + n)^2 + (y + m)^2 and the degenerative case x = 0. We also discussed a formula for the radius R, simplified from the equation (y - 5)^2 + 45^2 = y^2, as R=(a^2+b^2)/2a,
Icebreaker
A circle of radius R is centered at the origin. The y-intercept (positive) is at (0, R). As we shift the circle to the left (or right) by n on the x-axis, the y-intercept decreases. Are we able to determine the radius of the circle given a certain proportion between the x-shift and the decrease in y-intercept? Say, if x is shifted by 45, then the y-intercept decreases by 5, what is the radius?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know what to do about the degenerative case, but could you solve x2 + y2 = (x + n)2 + (y + m)2 given only n and m?
Edit: Maybe I do know what to do in the degenerative case- x = 0. So your example is y2 = 452 + (y - 5)2

Last edited:
Intuitively, I'm pretty certain that if two circle's radii are different, then the decrease in y-intercept can't be the same, given the same displacement in X.

I don't how many solutions there are for y2 = 452 + (y - 5)2. I was just considering that the circle's center C, the graph's origin O, and the y-intercept Y form a right triangle with line CY as the hypotenuse & radius, and the radius is constant.
Edit: But consider that eventually CY = CO...

Last edited:
Yes, I've already worked out (y - 5)^2 + 45^2 = y^2, but I wasn't sure, because a friend did it by drawing out things to scale, and got a different answer. I was afraid that my algebra or the whole concept was wrong.

I'm tired as hell (3am here), so I may have misread the original problem, but I think a simpler formula for the radius R (w/o having to solve for "y") is:

[tex]R=\frac{a^2+b^2}{2a}[/tex]

where "a" is the change in y-intercept and "b" is the shift in the x direction.

- Kamataat

Kamataat, y is the radius in the formula (y - 5)^2 + 45^2 = y^2. Your formula is simplified, but equivalent.

Aaaaaaaaargh, I figured something was not right. Anyway, won't make the same mistake of posting when tired again.

- Kamataat

Indeed, a general formula for a situation like this may very well be

[tex](r+\Delta y)^2 + (\Delta x)^2 = r^2, \Delta x < r/2[/tex]

I'm not sure I can prove it, or whether it has already been proven, or whether it's trivial.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the equation of a circle of radius R centered at the origin?

The equation of a circle of radius R centered at the origin is x2 + y2 = R2.

2. How do you find the area of a circle of radius R centered at the origin?

The area of a circle can be found using the formula Area = πR2, where R is the radius of the circle.

3. What is the circumference of a circle of radius R centered at the origin?

The circumference of a circle can be found using the formula Circumference = 2πR, where R is the radius of the circle.

4. How do you graph a circle of radius R centered at the origin?

To graph a circle of radius R centered at the origin, plot the point (0,0) as the center of the circle and then plot points along the circle's circumference using the equation x2 + y2 = R2.

5. What is the relationship between the radius and diameter of a circle of radius R centered at the origin?

The diameter of a circle is always twice the length of the radius. So, for a circle of radius R centered at the origin, the diameter is equal to 2R.