1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A circle of radius R is centered at the origin.

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    A circle of radius R is centered at the origin. The y-intercept (positive) is at (0, R). As we shift the circle to the left (or right) by n on the x-axis, the y-intercept decreases. Are we able to determine the radius of the circle given a certain proportion between the x-shift and the decrease in y-intercept? Say, if x is shifted by 45, then the y-intercept decreases by 5, what is the radius?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't know what to do about the degenerative case, but could you solve x2 + y2 = (x + n)2 + (y + m)2 given only n and m?
    Edit: Maybe I do know what to do in the degenerative case- x = 0. So your example is y2 = 452 + (y - 5)2

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  4. May 22, 2005 #3
    Intuitively, I'm pretty certain that if two circle's radii are different, then the decrease in y-intercept can't be the same, given the same displacement in X.

5. May 22, 2005 #4
  6. May 22, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I don't how many solutions there are for y2 = 452 + (y - 5)2. I was just considering that the circle's center C, the graph's origin O, and the y-intercept Y form a right triangle with line CY as the hypotenuse & radius, and the radius is constant.
    Edit: But consider that eventually CY = CO...

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  7. May 22, 2005 #6
    Yes, I've already worked out (y - 5)^2 + 45^2 = y^2, but I wasn't sure, because a friend did it by drawing out things to scale, and got a different answer. I was afraid that my algebra or the whole concept was wrong.

8. May 22, 2005 #7
    I'm tired as hell (3am here), so I may have misread the original problem, but I think a simpler formula for the radius R (w/o having to solve for "y") is:

[tex]R=\frac{a^2+b^2}{2a}[/tex]

where "a" is the change in y-intercept and "b" is the shift in the x direction.

- Kamataat

9. May 22, 2005 #8
    Kamataat, y is the radius in the formula (y - 5)^2 + 45^2 = y^2. Your formula is simplified, but equivalent.

10. May 23, 2005 #9
    Aaaaaaaaargh, I figured something was not right. Anyway, won't make the same mistake of posting when tired again.

- Kamataat

11. May 23, 2005 #10
    Indeed, a general formula for a situation like this may very well be

[tex](r+\Delta y)^2 + (\Delta x)^2 = r^2, \Delta x < r/2[/tex]

I'm not sure I can prove it, or whether it has already been proven, or whether it's trivial.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?