Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A class just for fun

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What class would you take if you wanted to take something just for pure fun? SCUBA diving, Mandarin Chinese, archery, etc?
    I'll be looking for something like this to fill my time soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where I had choices, I took, A History of Great Britain, the history of the biology of Oregon [the idea being something about the place you live], Native American studies, volleyball, and ping pong. Loved them all.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd probably be very sad and choose something physicsy. That or German classes.

I see you've been bestowed with your best Kurdt award. :tongue2:

5. Dec 3, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just finished getting re-certified in SCUBA a few weeks ago. It's fantanstic - I highly recommend it. Plus, it will be good to know when we go to Bora Bora :biggrin:.

I once needed one credit to get to full-time status, and the only one-credit class I could take was Field Ornithology. It was great fun!

6. Dec 3, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to get real good at either SCUBA diving or at Mandarin, you should find yourself a SCUBA course where the "What to do if your breathing apparatus fails" instructions are written in Mandarin.

7. Dec 3, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I would really enjoy a ping pong class. Or bowling.

There's a History of California class that sounds pretty cool, too.

I thought about putting it to a vote, but sometimes it is easier to just stage a coup.

ooh, field ornithology - I do that with crows. But it is more like parking lot ornothology. ha ha

:rofl: I almost spit coke on the papers on my desk.

8. Dec 3, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I simply loved ecology, photogrammetry and map-making, most philosophy courses, geology and introductory astronomy.

There were specialty courses in the Phys Ed department, and I took golf. It was a blast. They also offered skiing, and I volunteered as an instructor - great way to meet snow-bunnies.

You may also be able to pick up crafty-type courses like pottery, silver-smithing, etc.

9. Dec 3, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I would definitely like to take some more Philosophy classes. And some more programming. I would like to learn a little bit of JAVA and some more PHP.

10. Dec 3, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

To go on an archaeological dig, or look for fossils, archery would be cool if it was long bow.

11. Dec 3, 2008 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I should ask Santa for a new crossbow.

12. Dec 3, 2008 #11
    human sexuality. seems like a good class :)

13. Dec 3, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Can I have your old one?

14. Dec 3, 2008 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My friend teaches that (psych) class. He would probably let me audit if I wanted, but it seems a little boring to me right now.

15. Dec 3, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My brother has it now. It was a nice little crossbow pistol I got in Chinatown in San Francisco. I want a full size one but I will have to build up strength to draw the bow.

16. Dec 3, 2008 #15
    Quantum Field Theory. In Mandarin.

17. Dec 3, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I would like to learn Latin and old English.

18. Dec 3, 2008 #17
    I would take a psychology class. Not only is it an interesting subject but its mostly all girls. :eek:

19. Dec 3, 2008 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's more diverse here. The psych classes have about as many guys as girls, and the lab I work in is mostly fellas.

20. Dec 3, 2008 #19
    i'd like to learn some of the lost arts. bowyery, flintknapping, weaving, etc.

21. Dec 3, 2008 #20
    I love anthropology courses. I would also like to take Russian language courses and something like basketball, volleyball or skiing. Next summer I am hoping to take a intro motorcycle mechanics course at the technical school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?