Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A clue to quantum gravity?

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1

Gold Member

Sorry if this is old hat, or the wrong forum, i thoight it the best place for this.

Dark Energy: Mystery of the Millennium
    Authors: T.Padmanabhan
    Comments: Updated version of the Plenary talk at Albert Einstein Century International Conference at Palais de l'Unesco, Paris, France, 18-23 July, 2005; to appear in the Proceedings; AIP style files included; 16 pages; 2 figs

Nearly seventy per cent of the energy density in the universe is unclustered and exerts negative pressure. This conclusion -- now supported by numerous observations -- poses the greatest challenge for theoretical physics today. I discuss this issue with special emphasis on the cosmological constant as the possible choice for the dark energy. Several curious features of a universe with a cosmological constant are described and some possible approaches to understand the nature of the cosmological constant are reviewed. In particular, I show how some of the recent ideas, related to a thermodynamic route to gravity, allow us to: (i) create a paradigm in which the bulk value of cosmological constant is irrelevant and (ii) obtain the correct, observed, value for the cosmological constant from vacuum fluctuations in a region confined by the deSitter horizon.

Please read on.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted