A Coin Flipping Question

• Thread starter Yagoda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability that the number of times a fair coin must be tossed until the number of heads and tails is equal is 8. Various approaches are suggested, including a graphical one. The final numerical calculation is explained using a combination of probabilities and allowed sets of routes.
Yagoda

Homework Statement

Toss a fair coin independently 100 times. Let X > 0 be the number of times the coin must be tossed until the number of observed heads equals the number of observed tails. (And let X=100 if this never happens). Find the probability that X=8.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In order for X to be 8 we need there to be exactly 4 heads and 4 tails after the 8th flip. But we also need there to not be equal heads and tails at any point before this, which could occur after the 2nd, 4th and 6th flips. Thus we cannot have sequences beginning with TH, HT, HHTT, TTHH, etc. I tried enumerating all of these types of sequences but I couldn't come up with a systematic way of figuring them out.

This problem is from an old exam and in the solution that came with it the answer given is simply [itex]\frac{1}{2}\times\frac12\times\frac12\times\frac14 + \frac12 \times \frac14 \times \frac{1}{16} = \frac{5}{128},[/itex] with no other explanation provided. I can't really make sense of these numbers or figure out how they got it. Am I just really overthinking it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show some working out for this problem? You've shown some intuition about what is required but it's at a very nascent stage.

Yagoda said:
This problem is from an old exam and in the solution that came with it the answer given is simply [itex]\frac{1}{2}\times\frac12\times\frac12\times\frac14 + \frac12 \times \frac14 \times \frac{1}{16} = \frac{5}{128},[/itex] with no other explanation provided. I can't really make sense of these numbers or figure out how they got it. Am I just really overthinking it?
I'm not sure how they arrived at that either, but I find this problem quite easy done graphically.
You have to get from (0,0) to (4,4) without going through (1,1) etc. Without loss of generality, the first move is to (0,1). What is the last move, etc?

Likes 1 person
Thanks for providing a nice, intuitive approach. I don't think I would be clever enough to come up with that under the time pressure of an exam. :eek:
That numerical calculation is still a mystery to me.

Yagoda said:
That numerical calculation is still a mystery to me.
Here's a possibility, matching it to the graphical view:
Without loss of generality, first move is to (0, 1), so last needs to be from (3,4), with prob ##\frac12##.
Clearly the second step must be to (0,2), and the step before (3,4) must be from (2,4), each with prob ##\frac12##.
There are two allowed sets of routes from (0,2) to (2,4) - via (0,4) or via (1,3).
Via (1,3) we have ##\frac12## for (0,2) to (1,3), and ##\frac12## for (1,3) to (2,4), giving ##\frac14## altogether.
Via (0,4), we have ##\frac1{16}##.
Putting all that together gives ##\frac12\frac12\frac12(\frac14+\frac1{16})##

1. What is the probability of getting heads or tails when flipping a coin?

The probability of getting heads or tails when flipping a coin is 50%. This means that there is an equal chance of getting either outcome.

2. How many times should I flip a coin to get an accurate result?

The number of times you should flip a coin to get an accurate result depends on your desired level of accuracy. The more times you flip the coin, the closer your results will be to the expected 50% probability. However, flipping the coin 100 times is generally considered a good benchmark for accuracy.

3. What happens if I flip a coin and it lands on its side?

Technically speaking, a coin cannot land on its side when flipped. The probability of this happening is so low that it is considered impossible. In the rare case that it does happen, it is likely due to external factors such as the surface the coin was flipped on or the force used to flip it.

4. How does the weight or size of a coin affect the outcome of a coin flip?

The weight or size of a coin does not affect the outcome of a coin flip. As long as the coin is symmetrical and has an equal chance of landing on either side, the weight or size will not impact the result.

5. Can a coin flip be used to predict future outcomes?

No, a coin flip cannot be used to predict future outcomes. Each coin flip is an independent event and has no impact on future flips. The probability of getting heads or tails will always be 50% for each individual flip, regardless of previous outcomes.