Solving Collision Question: Speed After Intersection Impact

• Thread starter eclipse30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the two identical cars traveling at 50km/h, one north and one east, collide and become locked together. To find the speed of the joint wreck immediately after the collision, you can use the conservation of momentum principle by setting the final total momentum equal to the initial total momentum. This can be solved by adding the momentum of the two cars, taking into account their total mass. Simply calculating the velocities using the Pythagorean theorem will not give the correct answer.
eclipse30
I've been working on this question and I just don't know how to arrive at the correct answer!
Here's my question.

Two identical cars, each traveling at 50km/h, one traveling north and one traveling east, collide at an intersection and become locked together.
What is the speed of the joint wreck immediately after the collision?

I tried using the pythagoras theorum to attempt finding the new speed.
Root(50^2 + 50^2) but this gave me a new speed of 70.7km/h which I believe is wrong since the are moving at a faster speed.

How do I solve this question?:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the external forces that act on the system (the two cars) sum to zero, the linear momentum of the system is conserved. So you have the final total momentum of the system set equal to the initial total momentum of the system. Now you can solve for the final velocity.

eclipse30 said:
I tried using the pythagoras theorum to attempt finding the new speed.
Root(50^2 + 50^2) but this gave me a new speed of 70.7km/h which I believe is wrong since the are moving at a faster speed.
As hotcommodity explained, you should be adding the momentum, not just the velocities. (You can still use this calculation, but you'll have to modify it to include the mass.) When the cars are locked together, what's the total mass?

What is a collision question?

A collision question is a type of problem in physics that involves two or more objects colliding with each other. These questions typically require you to calculate the speed, direction, and momentum of the objects before and after the collision.

How do I solve a collision question?

The first step in solving a collision question is to identify the type of collision, which can be elastic, inelastic, or completely inelastic. Then, you will need to use conservation of momentum and conservation of energy equations to calculate the final velocities of the objects.

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a collision, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is another fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

What are the factors that affect the outcome of a collision?

The outcome of a collision is affected by various factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects, the angle and direction of the collision, and the elasticity of the objects. These factors can determine whether the collision is elastic, inelastic, or completely inelastic.