Debate: What are the 3 Primary Colors?

• Thread starter Craigh00000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of primary colors and how they differ in art and video production. The two primary sets of colors mentioned were red, yellow, and blue for subtractive colors, and red, blue, and green for additive colors. The idea that any combination of three different colors can create all other colors was also brought up. The group also briefly touched on the definition of primary colors and whether or not white should be included.
Craigh00000
I have a good friend that I like to debate with. We spent about three hours discussing this one.

What are the three primary colors?

I said Red, Yellow, and Blue.

He said Red, Blue and Green.

We were both correct.

Why?
o:) :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Red, Yellow, Blue are subtractive primaries.

Red, Blue, Green are additive primaries.

If that is the answer, then I am not sure how it is a brain teaser.

There are quite a few questions here that are not technically "Brain Teasers." I figure if you have to think about the question, and the answer is not common knowledge, then it is a brain teaser. But hey, I just got here. So if I'm screwin with the rules, let me know.

:Swimming with Angels::

I don't know the rules either, I just thought brain teasers are something that can be figured out (logically) if you think about it, and this was more of either you know it or you don't. Either way, I don't see any harm in posting it.

A third set, what about cyan, yellow, and magenta?

How would you define primary colors? This is something like vectors. Using a combination of any three non coplanar vectors, you can define any vector in a particular 3D space.

In the same way, using a combination of any three different colors you could get all other colors I guess. In different quantities. Although one would have to be white, and of the other two, one dark and one light.

Wow

Actually, I was thinking about the primary colors for art/additive as Red, Yellow and Blue

And the primary colors for video productio/subtractive as Red, Blue and Green.

:rolleyes:

What are the 3 Primary Colors?

The 3 primary colors are red, blue, and yellow. These colors are considered "primary" because they cannot be created by mixing other colors. Instead, they are the building blocks for all other colors.

Why are red, blue, and yellow considered the primary colors?

In the field of color theory, red, blue, and yellow are considered the primary colors because they cannot be created by mixing other colors. They are the purest form of color and are used to create all other colors through a process called color mixing.

Can different cultures have different primary colors?

No, the concept of primary colors is a universal one in the field of color theory. While different cultures may have different names for the primary colors, the concept of these colors being the building blocks for all other colors remains the same.

What is the difference between primary and secondary colors?

Primary colors are the building blocks for all other colors and cannot be created by mixing other colors. Secondary colors, on the other hand, are created by mixing two primary colors together. For example, mixing red and blue creates purple, which is a secondary color.

Are there any other primary colors besides red, blue, and yellow?

In traditional color theory, red, blue, and yellow are considered the primary colors. However, in modern color theory, the primary colors are often considered to be magenta, cyan, and yellow. These colors are used in the printing industry and are known as the "subtractive" primary colors.