Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Color problem.

1. Mar 25, 2007 #1
    I have a good friend that I like to debate with. We spent about three hours discussing this one.

What are the three primary colors?

I said Red, Yellow, and Blue.

He said Red, Blue and Green.

We were both correct.

o:) :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2007 #2
    Red, Yellow, Blue are subtractive primaries.

Red, Blue, Green are additive primaries.

If that is the answer, then I am not sure how it is a brain teaser.
  4. Mar 25, 2007 #3
    There are quite a few questions here that are not technically "Brain Teasers." I figure if you have to think about the question, and the answer is not common knowledge, then it is a brain teaser. But hey, I just got here. So if I'm screwin with the rules, let me know.

:Swimming with Angels::
  5. Mar 25, 2007 #4
    I don't know the rules either, I just thought brain teasers are something that can be figured out (logically) if you think about it, and this was more of either you know it or you don't. Either way, I don't see any harm in posting it.
  6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    A third set, what about cyan, yellow, and magenta?
  7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    How would you define primary colors? This is something like vectors. Using a combination of any three non coplanar vectors, you can define any vector in a particular 3D space.

In the same way, using a combination of any three different colors you could get all other colors I guess. In different quantities. Although one would have to be white, and of the other two, one dark and one light.
  8. Apr 9, 2007 #7

Actually, I was thinking about the primary colors for art/additive as Red, Yellow and Blue

And the primary colors for video productio/subtractive as Red, Blue and Green.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?