1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A comet problem

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a comet which passes through its aphelion at a distance rmax from the sun. Imagine that, keeping rmax fixed, we somehow make the angular momentum l smaller and smaller though not actually zero; that is we let l[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0. Use equations c=l2/[tex]\gamma\ mu[/tex] and rmax=c/1-[tex]\epsilon[/tex], rmin=1+[tex]\epsilon[/tex]to show that in this limit the eccentricity, [tex]\epsilon[/tex] of the elliptical orbit approaches 1 and the distance of closest approach rmin approaches zero.

2. Relevant equations

the equations posted above look funny, but for c it should be c=l2/gamma*mu
    rmax=c/1-epsilon and rmin= c/1+epsilon.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know that I am going to need to take limits. what i tried was to substitute in the c for the rmax equation, but then i really didn't know where to go from there. any help would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    Well, physically what happened if you too l--> 0 What you reall did is take your orbital velocity to zero.

L = mV X R

You assumed aphelion, so R was fixed. Assuming mass went to zero would just make the commet float away. What wil happen is the commet will make a b-line straight for the sun.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?